Head space issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDJay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Hefeweissen today, and overshot my final volume, so after pitching my starter (Wyeast 3068), I had over 6 gallons in my Big Mouth Bubbler. My prior experiences with this yeast (~12 batches) yielded very vigorous fermentation with significant krausen up the blow off tube. Anticipating a mess, I decided to siphon a gallon into a one gallon fermenter to get enough head space. Does that seem like a reasonable plan? Other ideas if I run into this situation again?:mug:

If you brew often you could use the siphoned wort for your next starter. Or don't siphon and go with an adequate blow-off.

There is no problem with your current plan, I just suggested other ideas.

Might be good to have a 7.5 gallon, or larger, wine fermenting bucket on hand just in case it happens again.

This batch will be my first foray into the world of kegging, so having the gallon to bottle allows me to take some back for a hunting trip this fall. A silver lining to the fire drill this afternoon.

Back