HBT'er takes top prize in Utrecht 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinnerstick

Reaction score
(gloat warning)
I'm happy today. My beer 'Smokey the Barracuda' from Brouwerij de Kromme Haring (<-that's me) just won the top (and only) prize at the 2015 Utrechtse Bierbrouwers Festival here in the Netherlands last saturday, or as they call the prize: 'Most appreciated beer in Utrecht Province, 2015'. The panel of beer judges and brewers chose it winner out of the 19 breweries registered in this province, who were (mostly) serving really excellent and interesting craft beers at this jam-packed little festival. Smokey is an imperial smoked porter (8.4% abv), it was developed as a homebrew recipe, commissioned by the beer bar Kafe Belgie where it is their house beer, brewed locally at Brouwerij Maximus. If anyone passes through Utrecht any time soon please stop by and try it, the second batch will go on tap shortly. It's a medal winner!
We also served a sacc-trois C-hop double IPA collab with brewery Ruig (9.0%) called Ruige Haring, and a kettle-sour 100% brett brux raspberry something (5.0%) called Lactic Fantastic. It all sold out pretty quickly. I drank a lot and talked a lot of nonsense. My father made those killer wood/enamel tap handles.
This concludes my very satisfied 2000th post on HBT! Thanks for reading.

IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4737.jpg

Congrats! I doubt I'll be in the Netherlands anytime soon, so I'll have to take your word for it. It does sound de-lish:mug:

Congrats man. That sounds really tasty, any chance you would share the recipe? Smoked porters are awesome when they are done well

thank you all for your kind words. i have now sobered up finally and am back to reality a bit. moving on to new beers! here is the recipe

Colors are in EBC, cut those values in half and you've got SRM.

pale malt 43% (maris otter at home, but at the brewery standard pale)
beech smoked rauchmalt 20-30% (depending on the malt, for weyermann's which is not that smoky go 30% and decrease the pale)
70 ebc crystal 9%
munich 6% (weyermann's munich I)
chocolate (900ebc) 5%
turbinado sugar 4%
carafa special III 4% (~1300ebc)
=101%, deal with it!

60 minute boil
EKG, 23 IBU, 60 min
willamette, 8 IBU, 30 min
EKG + willamette, 0.75ish g/L each, @ flameout
(this is on a 1500L system with a long whirlpool time so maybe move the flameout back to 10 min)

Yeast = Cal ale / US-05
Ferment @ 18 degrees at home, 20 in the brewery cylindro-conicals.
OG: 1.078
FG: 1.014
abv 8.4%

At home I do protein rest @ 55, Sacc rest @ 66, mashout @ 78
at the brewery we do beta and alpha; 55, 62, 72, 78.

Too bad I missed the festival, I really wanted to go but I had exams unfortunately. Ill make a point of going to Utrecht soon. When will Lactic Fantastic become available again, sounds freaking great! Congratulations on the prize.

Back