HBS forgot my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce40

Reaction score
I wanted to make a simple beer while I wait for my bourbon maple oak aged barley wine conditions (and probably going to have to need to have make a couple more batches). So I drove to my LHBS which is like 45 minutes away. I don't mind the drive because there is a great thai place right around the corner from there that I was planning to stop at. After a tasty meal I headed home and started my brew day. I finished my mash then as im about to start the boil I start getting my things ready I finally notice that im missing 2ozs of citra hops. I was brewing a hoppy American Wheat, very simple that I have made before, but tweaked a little to get the citra hop. I only had 1 ounce of cascade so I had to make that work. This is the original hop schedule.

1oz cascade @ 30
.5oz citra @10
.5oz citra @5
1oz citra @ flame out

Changed it to

.5 oz cascade @ 30
.25. oz cascade @ 10
.25 oz cascade @ 5

So I know this is no where near the schedule that I was trying to start with but what would you have done if this happened to you? The HBS is going to send the hops through the mail free of charge. They arrive Monday. I was planning to dry hop with the entire 2oz and hope I get some good flavor from it but not sure if its just wasting hops at this point.

I would have left the 1 oz cascade at 60 and then waited for the 2 oz of Citra and dry hopped them. What you did will probably be ok but you dropped your bittering addition and increased your flavor and aroma additions.

first additions was supposed to be at 30min, just wanted the flavors from this one. It ends pretty dry so didn't want to much bitterness. You think the dry hop will give it some good mango flavors like if I added to the boil.

Sorry I missed that.

Sure. Your 10, 5, and 0 minute additions really aren't that much different from dry hopping. It will be just fine.

Lucky you,they just forgot your hops. I went all the way home,sat down to order something they didn't have,& realized I didn't have my credit card 3 ales & a few shots later. Had to drive all the way back for it. The owner & clerk were both there waiting. Owner also helped me yesterday with a jump start when my battery finally took a dump.

Back