Hazy cider, can I fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a deal on honeycrisp cider back in August and fermented 6 gallons with premier blanc, intending to distill it to make apple brandy. Now I'm wondering if I might just enjoy it as a cider. Problem is, it is still super hazy because I didn't foresee the need to add any pectinase. My questions are, could that cider and yeast combo make a nice drinking cider? And if so, can I fix it with dualfine, or do I need to add enzyme? It has been pretty chilly here for the past two weeks and I have seen zero improvement in the clarity. What should I do?

You should be able to fix it with DualFine or a large dose of pectic enzyme. You could try cold crashing, see how bad it is and then try one. If that doesn't work, try the other. There's nothing wrong with pectic haze in the flavor or aroma. Just depends how desperate you are for a bright cider.

You should be able to fix it with DualFine or a large dose of pectic enzyme. You could try cold crashing, see how bad it is and then try one. If that doesn't work, try the other. There's nothing wrong with pectic haze in the flavor or aroma. Just depends how desperate you are for a bright cider.
Thank you for your reply, I have both pectic enzyme and dualfine, which would you recommend trying first?

DualFine doesn't work with pectin. Pectic enzyme will work post-ferment but it takes a lot longer than when in primary. Cloudy cider seems to be a thing now in the craft cider world, the commercial canned ciders I've been drinking are all cloudy. I'd leave it be.

I'd store it somewhere just above freezing and hit it with gelatin after a couple days. Then after a week or two, rack it off the lees. It should be clear by then.

Back