Have you heard of this keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccumath

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a buddy that came over from across the state and did a couple all grain brew sessions this last weekend. Got him convinced he needs to make himself a keggle. He was on craigslist today, and found himself a "Maisonneuve Keg". Have you guys heard of these kegs? A basic search here on HBT does not bring up any results. Looks like the site says they manufacture 50L and 15.5 Gal kegs, and im not sure which one he has. From France. Again, more info to come tomorrow.

I posted the picture he sent, and it is all I have at this time. Will find out more info when I talk with him tomorrow.

If anyone has some info, let me know. Anyone using one of these as a keggle?

Thanks,
Ryan M.

keg.jpg

I haven't heard of them, but it looks kinda small. It's hard to tell by the pic. Being from France, it might be aluminum. Have you done a scratch test or magnet test on it to see if it's stainless or aluminum?

Either way you could probably boil in it...

I haven't heard of them, but it looks kinda small. It's hard to tell by the pic. Being from France, it might be aluminum. Have you done a scratch test or magnet test on it to see if it's stainless or aluminum?

Either way you could probably boil in it...

It is across the state, so I have not done either or. Definitely something to consider. Looking at the site, it appears that they are all stainless steel products, but again may have to check. I guess it is in pretty good shape. I have never come across that brand here on HBT, and can't find anything about someone brewing with one.

Thought it was pretty interesting!

Ryan M.

If it's stainless you can't go wrong. Make a keggle, mash tun, hot liquor tank, fermentor, or even keg your beer in it. Either way you can use that sucker!

Sounds good guys! I figured it was stainless, and I am assuming that it is a Sankey D-style connector, but im not sure. You guys have seen all that I have seen from the pic. Its across the state, so I have just as much info as you do currently. Either way, should make a bad ass keggle.

I just finished my keggle build just before Christmas, and it went very well. Ordered some stuff from brewhardware.com (Bobby_M). Works freakin awesome!

Here is my build: I plan on doing another one very similar for the HLT, as soon as I can track down another one locally.

Just curious, but why did you decide to cut the top skirt off? Each person has their own way, I am just wondering what your reasoning was. Otherwise, looks awesome!

It cuts down on weight, it's not something you see everyday, it looks cool, and less steel on top means less "heat sink" or heat loss, so to speak .. I have actually seen quite a few photos where people have done the same thing, but they removed the entire ring leaving them without handles. That's why I cut it so the handles were still in tact..

Back