Have you ever...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libeerty

Reaction score
... felt a keg and thought 'Gee, it's almost kicked, I should finish it so I can get a new keg carbed for the weekend,' started drinking a lot, only to realize there must have been more in there than you realized? Whoops. :drunk:

Oh yeah. Last time I played that game I woke up on the bathroom floor. Apparently I misread my hydrometer and what I thought was 4.9% was actually more like 6.2%. Learned my lesson with that for sure!

Definitely did this once got. It got me messed up enough that I quit at some point figuring I could have the last couple pints the next day. NOPE! I got half a beer and then the keg kicked, then I kicked myself...

I've got one keg that I thought would kick about 10 pints ago. Fortunately it is a mild and is easy to drink. Perhaps tomorrow!

Similar story. On Bottling day me and a buddy of mine had to kick a keg to make room for more beer. I figured I had about a pitcher left. Four pitchers later we still had a ten gallon batch left to keg and bottle. We browned out but the beer turned out fine.

... felt a keg and thought 'Gee, it's almost kicked, I should finish it so I can get a new keg carbed for the weekend,' started drinking a lot, only to realize there must have been more in there than you realized? Whoops. :drunk:

Great minds think alike!!

I seem to do this with almost every batch. Glad I'm not the only one to make this mistake. I hate when someone else pulls the last pint. First and last pints should be reserved for the individual's that brewed the beer. IMO

yup done that.. then there is the real downside to.. now i think i always have a crapton of beer left.. but i dont :confused:

It gets me every time. It's all good though.

Even worse is when you've brewed and need the keg and make the decision to kill the lightest one...

I'm playing this game again right now. An older IPA that is losing it's dry hoppiness. This isn't going to end well - for me or the keg.

cadillacandy said:
I'm playing this game again right now. An older IPA that is losing it's dry hoppiness. This isn't going to end well - for me or the keg.

Yup, same with mine!

I seem to do this with almost every batch. Glad I'm not the only one to make this mistake. I hate when someone else pulls the last pint. First and last pints should be reserved for the individual's that brewed the beer. IMO

(S)he who drinks the last beer...

...buys the ingredients for the next batch.

Nope, I like each blow-out to be a surprise, so I never check the kegs. Only once did I have all three kegs go in a week, but I had more in the conditioning cabinet.

Definitely did this once got. It got me messed up enough that I quit at some point figuring I could have the last couple pints the next day. NOPE! I got half a beer and then the keg kicked, then I kicked myself...

This ^ .....every time I try to kick one.:cross:

I have a Vanilla porter on tap right now that I'm not hugely fond of that seems to have no bottom. Been working long hours this week on the brewery and have a few every night. This thing hasn't budged at all...I'm getting so sick of drinking it.. I never get sick of APA or IPA, but the darker beers, they wear on me.

CoalCracker said:
I have a Vanilla porter on tap right now that I'm not hugely fond of that seems to have no bottom. Been working long hours this week on the brewery and have a few every night. This thing hasn't budged at all...I'm getting so sick of drinking it.. I never get sick of APA or IPA, but the darker beers, they wear on me.

I'd either be bottling it or dumping it out. Life is too short to not drink awesome beer.

Whoops, did it again, why am I so bad at guessing how many beers are left??:drunk:

Yep been there. Pour a pint thinking it's the last one so you can keg but then like 4 pints later saying "I think I'll just keg tomorrow" haha

This wouldn't happen if you keg in the fuel tank from a 1967 chevvy and leave the float gauge in.

{this post is meant to be humorous. I do not advise storing or serving beer in automotive fuel tanks. Its unhealthy, dangerous, and would make an awsome home bar if you left it in the rear of the car.... ya see, you could put bulkheads in the tank, then run glycol lines from the AC compressor through the tank... never mind..... I do not advise storing or serving beer in automotive fuel tanks. Its unhealthy, dangerous }

well as you can see you're not alone. too bad the newer kegs don't incorporate a sight window so you could see WHEN you're almost out and plan accordingly.

actually first time i kicked one, it was total surprise ... and was bummed. so started trying to check them by feel so wouldn't be surprised. did as you did and drank a bunch that night. that keg lasted another 3 days. without popping the top (and wasting some CO2), it's a crapshoot.

have a vienna lager on tap right now (which i am enjoying) that for whatever reason slowed to a trickle when you pull the tap. i figured it must be about kicked. that was several pints ago. it's not CO2 as the other tap is kicking out fine, just figure there is too little in the keg to be drawn through the line any faster. either that or the dip tube is clogged (can't imagine how as there is nothing but beer in the keg).

I dont keg, so asking from complete ignorance but.... could you weigh a full keg, weigh an empty keg and track the difference? An electronic food scale isn't expensive and could be placed under the keg with a remote readout.

Yes, a couple times Ive dragged my GF down with me too. Luckily the other night she remembered when I told her we needed to kick this India Brown Ale keg. I said "it feels pretty light I think we can do it." To which she replied..."Lets bottle it" 4 bombers filled and it kicked on the 5th. That would have been ugly, especially cause each of us were already 6 or so beers deep.
And as anyone who has done this knows, with every pint poured you feel that much closer and your resolve grows as your better judgement diminishes...until its too late and you are off the cliff

Every time I lift a keg to see how much is in it, it either feels "heavier" and I think it is nearly full, or "lighter" and I think it is nearly empty. I cannot discern anything in the middle. Not sure what is wrong with me.

I brewed a double batch of an 8.2% IPA and thought I was at the bottom of one of my kegs. I had lifted it and thought this seems light so stuck it in the fridge to finish the next day. My thoughts were that I would finish it the next day after work and keg the beer.

Anyways a mate had been over during the day as he was doing some work on the place and decided to have a few beers after and blew the keg. Being a nice fella he thought he better change it over for me so I had some beer when I got home.

Long story short I had a massive headache the next day and the keg was still relatively heavy.

Latest posts

Back