:( Have to Dump a batch of Christmas Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockindaddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have to dump a batch of Christmas Brown Ale. It was a Newcastle clone recipe that I have brewed before with success, but this time I thought I would add some Cinnamon & clove for a Christmas Ale. I used 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of clove and put in the boil with 5 minutes left. Well, the result was not good. Came out way to strong and pretty much undrinkable. I think maybe just a pinch of each would have been enough. 5 gallons and about 20 bucks down the drain. :mad:

Hang on to it for a year. I bet it gets better. Couldn't get worse!

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

depending how strong it is, you could try diluting it. what if you made a second batch of the beer with no spices and mixed 50/50? would the spices be ok if they were only half as strong?

I've had great results adding cinnamon and clove to my boiling solution of priming sugar.

I use 1 stick of whole cinnamon, and 5-6 whole clove pieces. Lightly boil those for about 3-4 minutes, then strain them out before adding the priming solution to the main batch before bottling.

Spices do fade over time. I would hold on to that batch. Just shove it in the closet and forget about it for a few months.

I've had great results adding cinnamon and clove to my boiling solution of priming sugar.

I use 1 stick of whole cinnamon, and 5-6 whole clove pieces. Lightly boil those for about 3-4 minutes, then strain them out before adding the priming solution to the main batch before bottling.

Spices do fade over time. I would hold on to that batch. Just shove it in the closet and forget about it for a few months.

Get a 12-pack of real Newcastle and pour glasses of a 50-50 blend while you wait for the spices to mellow out.

Atleast you didnt bottle it and then realize it's bad.

I made an ale last year, did all the work including bottling it.. 2 weeks later was all excited to crack one open.. tasted it.. and it was sour :mad:

If you have the space, and the beer is simply "overspiced" - I would let it ride til next year.

I have overspiced two beers - an x-mas ale and a pumpkin ale. Let both go 2 years. The x-mas ale actually ended up being really good. The pumpkin ale never did come around and I dumped it eventually. But, overspiced beer can end up being fine with some time. Worth a shot if you have space to let it sit.

If you have the space, and the beer is simply "overspiced" - I would let it ride til next year.

I have overspiced two beers - an x-mas ale and a pumpkin ale. Let both go 2 years. The x-mas ale actually ended up being really good. The pumpkin ale never did come around and I dumped it eventually. But, overspiced beer can end up being fine with some time. Worth a shot if you have space to let it sit.

This. Spice flavors fade over time let that beer ride. The only time a spiced beer didnt come around for me was when I added to much to the bottling bucket the spices became very bitter in the bottles but in the boil and none in the bottling bucket should fade over time.

Atleast you didnt bottle it and then realize it's bad.

I made an ale last year, did all the work including bottling it.. 2 weeks later was all excited to crack one open.. tasted it.. and it was sour :mad:

No, I did bottle it. It's been conditioning for a couple weeks and I just cracked open my first one last night. I knew it was going to be strong when I bottled it, but was hoping it would mellow after carbonating. I think I'll take everyone's advice and let it sit for a year and see what happens. :eek:

No, I did bottle it. It's been conditioning for a couple weeks and I just cracked open my first one last night. I knew it was going to be strong when I bottled it, but was hoping it would mellow after carbonating. I think I'll take everyone's advice and let it sit for a year and see what happens. :eek:

Well I wish you the best of luck. Opening 2 cases of what was supposed to be amazing homebrew and dumping it down the sink is depressing...

I had the same exact thing with cloves in an Imperial Pumpkin. I used 1/2 the recipe, still came out too strong. 4 months later, it's remarkably better. This may be the last time I use clove, just not a big fan.

Don't ever dump a beer! I think I'd brew another spice free batch and mix them at drinking time or like was mentioned previously, Just give it a year.

I don't think it's possible to fix "sour" beer.. and mixing it with another beer is just going to bring the other beer down in my opinion

Ok... rotten beer is one thing. Over spiced beer is a whole other animal. I overshot the coriander ibn a wheat beer and it was not good but several months later it mellowed nicely!

Don't dump it! I did a pumpkin beer too that tasted only of cinnamon after 1 month, but tasted really good around month 3. Spice flavor will go quite fast.

My x-mas ale uses 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp of each of the spices (cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg) at the end of the boil. The result is a good malty brew w/ subtle spices. It is easy to over do it.

Back