Have I ruined my Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkyP

Reaction score
Hi guys looking for some help here. I left my 30 litre fermenter soaking in some VWP cleaner for a day or so and then rinsed it out a couple of times and went to make my second homebrew and the bucket had a really strong chlorine like smell in it especially the rubber seal on the lid that the airlock fits into. I gave it another very good rinsing and smell still seems to be there.

Is this fermenter now ruined? I dont wanna make 23 litres of beer to find out a month or 2 later that my beer is ruined and tastes like a chemical. I also dont wanna throw out a brand new fermenter that I only used once.

I'm not sure on the fermenter, but the rubber grommet is about .50 to replace!
I guess I'd rinse with hot water, and then let it sit full of water for a day or two. But no experience here with that, maybe someone else?
Oh, and you could make a 1/2 batch!

55 cent actually ;) I guess ill soak everything in really hot water and give it a few more rinses. I really hope I dont have to replace the whole fermenter.
Does anyone else have any experience with this issue. I think I may have put too many spoonfuls of VWP in the fermenter in the first place.

I think Kampenken is correct. Very hot water rinse and a few days soak.

What is VWP? If it has chlorine in it I'd recommend not using it. Oxiclean (the no scent one) would probably suit you better. Just use very hot water with it though.

VWP is a cleaner sterilizer I think its more popular in the UK and Ireland, they have instructions for homebrew use on the tub.
http://www.vwpcleanersteriliser.co.uk/

Im just boiling the kettle now gonna soak it for a couple of days in water hopefully the smell goes, If the smell is still there ill purchase a new fermenter and maybe make a Kit and Kilo in the one that smells to see if the smell goes into the beer.

Latest posts

Back