Double IPA Hatch Green Chile IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyjhuebs

Naked Gnome Brew Co
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
#WLP051
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
#WLP051
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
10.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Subtle Green Chile Flavor with a kick or aromatic hops.
6.50 gal Purified Water
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (1.5 SRM)
2.3 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.5 SRM)
1 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 60 min
1.0 oz Nugget [13.0%] - Boil 45 min
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 20 min
0.5 oz Nugget [13.0%] - Boil 15 min
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 10 min
2 pkgs California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051)
2.00 cup Roasted Green Chile Juice (Secondary 10 days)
4.0 oz Zeus [14.0%] - Dry Hop 7 days
4.0 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Dry Hop 7 days

I for one am a huge fan of hatch green chiles!! Very creative recipe. I am afraid that the massive 8ozs of dry hop would distract from the nuances of the green chiles though. I like all the hop choices except citra for bittering. Is there a reason for choosing that? I would probably go with Zeus again. Would love to hear how it turns out.

Hatch chiles are wonderful. We made stuffed hatch chile cheeseburgers a couple times last year that were the best burgers I've ever had. I need to go find that recipe.

I forgot to add that the Zeus and Cascade were hops that I dehydrated myself. In my opinion, have the whole dehydrated hop while dry hopping kept it from being overwhelming due to the fact that I dont think all the flavor was pulled from them.

The hop choices I made for this beer were solely based on the Alpha percentage (minus the cascade). I wanted it very aromatic to balance out the roated chile flavors. It came out very crisp and hop forward with chile undertones.

Back