has anyone used these? (cheap small batch fermenter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JM-brew

Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008VET4Q8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1437259961&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=arrow+plastic&dpPl=1&dpID=31EUOc4CLIL&ref=plSrch

saw these at Walmart. They come in 1 gallon, 2 gallon and 2.5 gallon sizes . They actually seem pretty well made and the 2.5 gallon (the most expensive) is only $7 at Walmart. Thoughts?

can't get the link to work on my mobile. You'll have to copy and paste

In principle, they'd work.

A few thoughts I have when looking at them:

- The spigot may not be high enough, and may take some of the yeast cake out. Of course, you don't have to use the spigot, and could use a racking hose of some sort, so this is hardly a deal breaker.

- That handle goes awfully low down. Cleaning it is going to be a pain.

- Can the spigot be disassembled for cleaning? You'd assume so. But if you want it to use it for brewing, you'd want to be sure it could be.

- Make sure you buy one larger than the batches you intend to make, to allow for head space.

I was asked to brew a porter for a wedding. I bought 4 of these to brew small batches of different recipes. Added air locks to each lid and they worked great. I did not use the spigots but used a siphon instead. They are a bit of a pain to clean but the top hole is large enough to get your hand in so that helps. I did buy mine at Walmart.

Raise the front of it about 1 inch, and the spigot will be easier to use.

For cleaning, Oxy should work even up in the handle.

I use the 5qt one for small batch secondary quite often.
The valve separates into three pieces.

Both the valve and lid seal tight.

I get mine at Odd Lots for ~$4

'da Kid

Latest posts

Back