Has anyone had a glass carboy blow from belt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eckythump

Reaction score
The instructions for carboy heat belts suggests that glass carboys can explode when used with glass carboys. I'm wondering if anyone has actually had a glass carboy shatter when using a heating belt.

I've wrapped my carboy with a towel, and wrapped the heater around the towel. I hope this is enough to dissipate the heat.

i've never used 1, but i could see how it could happen. ONLY if there's a crack in the carboy already, though. only thing i've heard breaking about those belts is the belts themselves. most people seem to feel lucky if they last 3 months

I think what they are referring to would be a difference in temp. Like having the belt on and having the carboy sitting on concrete...cold concrete fights warm belt...carboy loses. Avoiding direct contact with concrete, tile, granite and the like can easily be done with a scrap board or some cardboard.

Back