Has anyone done a decoction mash with smoked malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayrome2722

Reaction score
I have been lurking at this sight for a looong time. I tried to do a Search to answer this question but Google is giving me trouble, so I will just ask. I am thinking of making a malty smoked beer, and I thought I would try doing a decoction mash on this beer. I was curious if anyone had ever tried this and if the decoction had any affect on the smokiness of the beer. For the record, I know a lot of people don't believe decoction is necessary, but I do it sometimes because I enjoy it. Thanks in advance for the help.

What kind of beer and what kind of malt?

A German rauchbier is made with 100% German wood-smoked malt and a decoction would be appropriate for that brew.

Kind of.
My Terrapin Reunion '10 clone had only 5 oz of British Peated.
I don't think the decoctions effected the peat flavor.
The mouthful, OTOH, has been pleasant.

I was thinking along the lines of a Robust Porter with some smoke. I know you wouldn't normally decoct a porter, I just want to see what it would do. As stated, if the Germans do decoctions with smoked malt, it must work just fine.

Back