Has anyone completely replaced the lid of a keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNugent

Reaction score
Curious what type of wood/insulation construction could be used to completely replace the factory lid on a keezer? I have a build idea that won't work with the factory lid, I'd like to build the replacement with wood an insulation similar to a collar but for the whole top. Would a sheet of the foam insulation maybe 2" thick provide adequate, similar to factory, insulation and cooling retention?

Thanks,
Trent

I replaced the lid on my keezer with one built from 1x10 for the sides and 1/4" oak plywood for the top. It's insulated with some cheap 2 inch foam and seems to be holding temps good. You can see it in this thread.

I can't fathom why a good sheet of foam like you described wouldn't do the job.

Hell, the wood around a keezer as a collar for the taps works wonders in terms of insulation.

I replaced the lid on my keezer with one built from 1x10 for the sides and 1/4" oak plywood for the top. It's insulated with some cheap 2 inch foam and seems to be holding temps good. You can see it in this thread.

Nicely done. Gives me the courage to move forward with my plans. A full write-up will be included once it's complete.

Im not done with my build but i had to get rid of my entire lid. I just started a post about it. I used 2x4's as a collar and used a piece of plywood with a vapor barrier on it. I know alot of people have to use 1x6 or a 2x6 because a 2x4 wont offer enough clearance. im also going to place 2" Styrofoam on the whole interior as insulation. Good luck on your build

I did a butcher block top and it seems to be working just fine. I think that an air tight seal is just as important as insulating with sheets of foam. An air tight seal is pretty easy to achieve with simple weather striping.

I did. I used 1x8 pine for the collar and OSB for the top covered with stick down vinyl tile. I covered the inside with 1½ inch thick styrofoam that my SWMBO brought home from her lab. You can see it herehere

Back