Harvesting questionable yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I brewed two weeks ago. Normally I recirculate through my chiller for the last 15min to sanitize. I forgot to open the valve on the output of the pump during this stage.

So basically the kettle valve was open, and maybe there was some hot wort exchange between the kettle and the pump but couldn't have been much. I finished the boil, "whirlpooled" for 15 minutes more, turned on my chiller water, and then realized my mistake. I should have just run some sanitizer through at this point but I panicked and opened the valve and began the actual whirlpool. The temp was about 180.

I'm sure the beers I made from this wort will be fine enough, but how would you feel about reharvesting?

Hmmm... I think it's fine to harvest it, but I would not USE IT in another batch until I have tasted/evaluated the finished product from the questionable batch. KEEPING the yeast doesn't hurt you. Only time will tell if USING the yeast will. Not worth risking a whole batch over $7 savings in yeast.

Right, obviously I meant using it in a future batch. I'm not sure if the 1st batch will be a good indication, though. It got a nice big pitch, good temp control, finished strong (with expected attenuation levels), and then settled out. Now it's carbing and sitting cold, and it's not going to warm up again. I think if it were contaminated, it's not going to show it.

I've already harvested the yeast, and I worry that between now and the next brew, any foreign organisms will have time to grow.

Back