Harvested Yeast Layers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikefromMichigan

Reaction score
I decided to try another attempt at harvesting yeast to use as a starter in my next brew. I followed the steps discussed many times on this board, and after washing the yeast and storing in the fridge overnight I looked at the jar this morning and noticed that there were 4 different layers in the the jar. I have only ever read that there should be 3 layers.
1) Old cells
2) Yeast
3) ?
4) Liquid
Can someone please explain to me what layer 3 is. I am assuming all I want is layer 2 which I believe is the yeast.

Thanks

yeast-1B.JPG

Like Demon said: 3 will turn into 2. If you let your wash vessel settle a bit longer, you'll be able to reduce the amount of trub. I've taken to a 2 step process-wash w/ sterile water in the fermenter, let settle, transfer to a clear gallon jug, let settle, pour into mason jars, really cuts down on the dead cells.

Could I transfer 2 and 3 to another jar, give it a shake and make a starter tonight to brew tomorrow, or would it be better to wait a few more days until the separation has completed?

Thanks

It been another 24 hours now and as suggested I needed to wait longer for complete separation. I will use this yeast now to brew during the week. Thanks for the advice.

So the creamy white layer is the viable yeast? Is that what I have on the bottom in my pic? Thanks!

image-2843463236.jpg

So the creamy white layer is the viable yeast? Is that what I have on the bottom in my pic? Thanks!
yup. you can pour off the yellow liquid above and only keep the solids at the bottom. actually, don't pour it all off - keep just enough (like a quarter inch) to swish around, break up the solidified layer of cells at the bottom and get them back into suspension so you can pour them out.

BTW, your yeast looks exceptionally white and clean.

Cool, thanks!

This is wyeast 1098. Started with one smack pack and made a two liter starter. Used about 800ml for a batch and then saved the rest. This is about 800ml of starter in a 1L jar. I'll bump this up again for two more batches in the next week! Easy and fun.

Back