Harvested, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Methose

Reaction score
see pictures in:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=6985368#post6985368

I laid the bines and trellis down to harvest, hopefully without ripping them out of the ground. The question is, now what?
I want to promote the health of the roots for next year, and I know it was a tad earlier than normal for harvest.
Should I
-leave them laying as they are
-pile them up on the mounds
-cut the binds (sounds bad)

Either put them back up to continue to grow or cut them off.

You still have a lot of growing season. So putting them back up will give the roots a lot more time to grow and gather energy from the leaves. That's the best option. Heck, you may get a second crop.

Leaving them on the ground could result in a mold/mildew that may become systemic. Then you are stuck with it. It may also cause some of those bines to take root. Now its pulling energy from the original crown to the new rooting locations. Again, that's bad.

If you can't put them back up, just cut them off. They will probably try to re-sprout.

Either put them back up to continue to grow or cut them off.

You still have a lot of growing season. So putting them back up will give the roots a lot more time to grow and gather energy from the leaves. That's the best option. Heck, you may get a second crop.

Leaving them on the ground could result in a mold/mildew that may become systemic. Then you are stuck with it. It may also cause some of those bines to take root. Now its pulling energy from the original crown to the new rooting locations. Again, that's bad.

If you can't put them back up, just cut them off. They will probably try to re-sprout.

Thank you very much for the advice, I would have just left them there. Very good information to know.
I'm going to try to put them back up somehow, but the trellis broke when taking it down, so I may just have to cut them off.

If I cut them off, should I let them sprout up new growth, or should I cut them back when it pops up?

I'd let anything that sprouts up or out to grow at this point in the season.

fwiw, the last couple of seasons I've taken to cutting off all the bearing arms when harvest time arrives and leaving the rest of the plants standing tall until frost gets 'em, at which time I chop them off just a couple inches above grade and mulch the hell out of the beds for the winter.

I doubt Atlanta actually sees frost of course, but there will be a point that the plants pretty much shut down and go to sleep 'til the spring. That's the time to set up the beds for winter...

Cheers!

I don't have a way to put them back up unfortunately, the whole trellis fell down. So what I did, was lifted the trellis top and sides (including the strings which have the bines on them) up off the ground with 4 sawhorses.
It has them about 3-4 feet off the ground but it's horizontal, rather than vertical. There are some dead binds intermingled with the live ones, but most seem to still be alive. I guess I will keep an eye out for mold or fungus.

I'm more concerned about the health of the mounds for next year than the second harvest (which looks like I will get at least some). I figure it would be best for the plant to let it go through it's full cycle and store up energy for next year.

Anyone see any harm in leaving it that way?

I'd go ahead and cut out anything literally dead or clearly dying, but otherwise if the bines are intact it should be way better than whacking them all this early...

Cheerss!

Alright, well i'm glad I didn't cut them off; I'm certainly going to get another harvest with what looks like more than I had the first time.

20150824_193429.jpg

20150824_193437.jpg

20150824_193514.jpg

Latest posts

Back