Harvested Hornidal Kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
So I harvested some yeast on 1/1/19 and it's been stored in 50 ML vials in the fridge. I will be brewing on Friday (1.055 OG pale ale) and will be making a starter today.

One of the online calculators says I need to make a 2 step starter. I don't have the time to do this and would like to make a 2L starter and keep it on the stir plate until Thursday then cold crash until needed on Friday.

Anyway this will result in enough viable yeast to ferment down to 1.010? I can always go with US05 or S04 but want to use the Kveik I have.

Kveik don’t care about cell counts. It also don’t care about your schedule and will (likely) ferment out in 24 hr and flocc nicely too. Make sure to tell it good job afterwards :)

Last edited:
If you pitch that much Kveik you wont get any of the fruity esters the're known for. I did that for a stout (RIS) and got a 12.6 beer without any fusels and done at 86*. I pitched 5 grams of dry Kveik at 90* and had full K in less then 24 hrs. Hoping for some of that pineapple. I've read where some brewers open a pouch and only pitch 1 tablespoon. Have you read the thread Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind? You should.

Made a starter last night- it's on the stirplate. My plan is to leave on until Wednesday evening or Thursday morning, harvest another 50ML or maybe 100 ML, cold crash, decant then pitch. Same thing I did last time I used this strain and it produced a fruity beer that I enjoyed.

If you pitch that much Kveik you wont get any of the fruity esters the're known for. I did that for a stout (RIS) and got a 12.6 beer without any fusels and done at 86*. I pitched 5 grams of dry Kveik at 90* and had full K in less then 24 hrs. Hoping for some of that pineapple. I've read where some brewers open a pouch and only pitch 1 tablespoon. Have you read the thread Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind? You should.
I did read that thread. Good info.

I made a 1.5L starter of Bootleg Bio OSLO last night (6pm).

Already finished this morning (6am). First pick is shaken up, second is 8 oz jars after ~3 min of settling.

Attachments

• 86D03B4F-7E91-4779-B042-AE437E2A4A7F.jpeg
    86D03B4F-7E91-4779-B042-AE437E2A4A7F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • F1FBAD78-85CE-4D63-8D69-C13A13723BA8.jpeg
    F1FBAD78-85CE-4D63-8D69-C13A13723BA8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
I'm going to check it when I get home. Last starter I made with OYL-091 finshed quick, I think a day or two max.
It also fermented out in three days at 85 degrees. Temps are warm here in S Louisiana so my plan is to ferment in my garage which will get into the upper 80's to mid 90's during the day.

Got home yesterday and the color wasn't creamy like previous starters I made. There was a good bit of krausen in the neck of my flask so i swirled it up to loosen the krausen. Checked it this morning and I could see the krausen again rose to the top but the color still isnt creamy. Kinda on the clear side. Don't see any signs of yeast at the bottom.
Now I'm wondering if I had sufficient yeast when i harvested. There is definitely yeast since the krausen made it to the top of my flask- not sure if it's enough.

Gonna check it this evening again. May have to swirl it up again and leave it on the stirplate until tomorrow evening, when i will cold crash.

I'll decant and use whatever I have and if it doesn't work I'll throw in some S04.

I made a 1.5L starter of Bootleg Bio OSLO last night (6pm).

Already finished this morning (6am). First pick is shaken up, second is 8 oz jars after ~3 min of settling.

Nice. I did not get a notice from Bootleg (email) but saw this morning (FB) I was 2 days late to the party. Sold out fast!

Got home yesterday and the color wasn't creamy like previous starters I made. There was a good bit of krausen in the neck of my flask so i swirled it up to loosen the krausen. Checked it this morning and I could see the krausen again rose to the top but the color still isnt creamy. Kinda on the clear side. Don't see any signs of yeast at the bottom.
Now I'm wondering if I had sufficient yeast when i harvested. There is definitely yeast since the krausen made it to the top of my flask- not sure if it's enough.

Gonna check it this evening again. May have to swirl it up again and leave it on the stirplate until tomorrow evening, when i will cold crash.

I'll decant and use whatever I have and if it doesn't work I'll throw in some S04.

You literally don’t see any yeast at the bottom? Are there bubbles rising to the surface? If you aren’t using a stir plate, you should get LOTS of CO2 release when you swirl the flask during fermentation.

If the starter is “done”, I’d decant odd most of the liquid and top up with fresh wort. Shouldn’t need more than 24 hr to ferment out from there. Keep want to if you can (above 70F).

You literally don’t see any yeast at the bottom? Are there bubbles rising to the surface? If you aren’t using a stir plate, you should get LOTS of CO2 release when you swirl the flask during fermentation.

If the starter is “done”, I’d decant odd most of the liquid and top up with fresh wort. Shouldn’t need more than 24 hr to ferment out from there. Keep want to if you can (above 70F).
There are bubbles and alot of krausen. The color isnt the same as previous starters. Maybe hasnt had enough time. Tonight will be 2 days on the stirplate.

There are bubbles and alot of krausen. The color isnt the same as previous starters. Maybe hasnt had enough time. Tonight will be 2 days on the stirplate.

That’s strange, but I’ve seen a lot of people on here pitch teaspoon amounts of slurry with supposedly good results.

That’s strange, but I’ve seen a lot of people on here pitch teaspoon amounts of slurry with supposedly good results.
Yeah I've read where some pitch teaspoon size but I cant see how that would be enough.
I put the starter in my fridge last night. Going to brew Friday and pitch around 85-90. Planning on fermenting in my garage until finished. Temps for the next few days will be in the low 90's so that should work.

Is the consensus that you can either save kveik dry or in slurry? Saving vials like a normal yeast seems simpler to me as it is already what I do but it seems like ore and more people are trying to save it dry.

I think I'd prefer your approach and save it under beer and make a starter etc.

Is the consensus that you can either save kveik dry or in slurry? Saving vials like a normal yeast seems simpler to me as it is already what I do but it seems like ore and more people are trying to save it dry.

I think I'd prefer your approach and save it under beer and make a starter etc.

I’ve had no issues treating kveik like a normal yeast. I think the drying part just makes it easier to ship via mail? Contamination with airborne wild yeast makes me a little too nervous, but it clearly seems to work for others.

Do keep in mind that the origin of all these single isolate, commercial strains were from mixed cultures that often contained bacteria too.

See:
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

I've read that they taste different. I dried some in an oven so might be cleaner then leaving out on top of a heater. My plan is to make 10 gal and use both forms.
Dry yeast is sooooo easy!

I've read that they taste different. I dried some in an oven so might be cleaner then leaving out on top of a heater. My plan is to make 10 gal and use both forms.
Dry yeast is sooooo easy!

I agree it seems simple but my protocol is to make a starter and save some starter and yeast for the next time so the drying would just add steps to my process. I know the guys doing it seem to be pretty happy with the results.

I brewed a pale ale today, 1.053 (missed target if 1.055). Not too bad.
Anyway pitched a decanted starter at 215 today at 86 degrees. At 430 had signs of fermentation starting.
Current wort temp is 85 degrees.
Before decanting I harvested 50 ML of slurry. I plan on taking about a teaspoon size of krausen, probably tomorrow morning to save for a future batch. Hopefully it will not be another 5 months before I get to use it.

Next batch will be a Russian River clone using OYL 052 (Conan). I do have a NEIPA I used this strain in that I really like. After a month in the keg it's beginning to clear, which is fine with me.

Back