Hard Cider Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brwmistr

Reaction score
Hello All,
No doubt most have tried this already and if not why not :). I took 4 gallon of fresh pressed apples cider and fermented it to 6% then decided to...hey why not dry hop Cascade into it. I added this once the gravity was at 1.010 and let it finish out from three weeks. WOW the flavor was like a light lager with floral notes. This added a nice touch to the apple taste that was very light after fermentation.

If you have tried this let me know how yours tasted and what other hops you have tried.

I made a high ABV cider then dry hopped it with cascade for a week before bottling. It was o.k. but I didn’t love it. I’ve also had a few commercial dry hopped ciders. Some are o.k. and some are great. The lack of heat make the hop profile different from beer.

Wouldn't this be a hopped cider? Otherwise I think 1/2 wort 1/2 cider is called Graff, I think.

I haven't hopped my ciders, but I have had them before. As with anything, if your base cider is good, a hop addition could complement, but hopping a crappy cider will result in a crappy hpped cider.

I make lots of experimental beers. Some pretty good, some not all that great. When I have a hoppy beer that comes out a little harsh, I just blend in the glass maybe 50/50 beer and cider or I change it up to 75/25 depending how it tastes. I usually blend cider with lagers and Session IPAs. The flavors don't really go all that great with stouts and Belgians, but maybe I haven't hit the right combination.

I make lots of experimental beers. Some pretty good, some not all that great. When I have a hoppy beer that comes out a little harsh, I just blend in the glass maybe 50/50 beer and cider or I change it up to 75/25 depending how it tastes. I usually blend cider with lagers and Session IPAs. The flavors don't really go all that great with stouts and Belgians, but maybe I haven't hit the right combination.
About 9 seconds ago, I thought that a farmhouse saison as a base may do well as a graff. Haven't put much more thought into it though.

About 9 seconds ago, I thought that a farmhouse saison as a base may do well as a graff. Haven't put much more thought into it though.
I made some Graff using recipes found on HBT and elsewhere, and it was ok, but I prefer to make separate batches of beer and cider and then blend after fermenting.
Basic brewing radio had an episode making a hopped Graff with extract and you could either add apple or pineapple juice that is worth trying.

Back