Happy Birthday Baby Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorribleBrew

Reaction score
Today is my first batch of brew's, Black Eye, one week birthday in the primary! :ban:

I am going to celebrate by going to my LHBS and buying some G'Knight so I can let my baby sit for at least three more weeks before transferring half to a keg and half to bottles.

Seriously, no matter how much I read, it did not prepare me for how obsessed I would be with this new living creature in my home. I find my self habitually opening the closet door first thing in the morning and last thing at night to check the fermentation temperature. My wife and dog both feel like they have been replaced. :eek:

With that being said, what are some of the most OCD things you guys have done while waiting for your first batch to ferment and then mature?

I never grew out of my new-brewer impatience. I have to restrain myself from taking early hydrometer readings still. That said, the only thing that distracts me from a fermenting/aging beer is brewing another one.

I remember starting research into my second brew as soon as I got it in the fermenter. I called it summer ale,but seeing the OS lager can was a couple years old,I should've called it Cougarator,since it came out just like a lower alcohol version of a Salvator doppel bock. Which,by the way,has always been brewed as an ale since 1569 or a bit earlier.
Gary Martin at Home Brewer TV liked it so much,he gave it the full 3 thumbs up over a commercial ale! That felt good,seeing as how it was "only" my second batch.

Back