Ham Glaze Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chessking

Reaction score
We made a ham for the holidays and it came with a sugar spice packet for glazing. We don't like glazed ham and as SWMBO was about to toss it, I suddenly thought "I could ferment that". So I have a 8 oz packet with the ingredients listed as: Brown Sugar, sugar, spices, and honey powder (Maltodextrin, honey).
Now I was thinking of a simple bock recipe for the base beer and add the sugar/spice packet as a late addition to the boil.

Question:
1) Has anyone tried using this glaze packet for brewing?

2) Should I up the IBU's to balance the maltodextrin sweetness?

3) What the heck is Honey powder?

Ha! Read the title and took this the wrong way.

Christmas dinner yesterday. Nephew, who is an excellant cook, has me pour my homebrewed Red Rye and the ham before he puts it in the oven.
:mug:

As far as the honey powder part, its essentially dehydrated or crystalized honey, its used a lot in baking in professional kitchens (ive worked with it before) similar to maple sugar

As far as the honey powder part, its essentially dehydrated or crystalized honey, its used a lot in baking in professional kitchens (ive worked with it before) similar to maple sugar

So it looks like everything is fermentable except the spice, and the maltodextrin, which should just add some mouth feel. I think I'll make this and see.

A couple of years have gone by, and I liked the last ham glaze beer I made, so I tried it again, this time in a Barley Wine recipe. What I got was better than the American Brown base beer I had used before. Even though the IBUs were up on the Barley Wine compared to the Brown, It didn't have the perceived bitterness level of the Brown, and the spice came through better.
Fine beer.
I think this will be an annual thing for me now after the Easter ham has come and gone. A Barley Wine is a beer (for me anyway) that lasts a bit longer in the keg, and gets poured as a desert beer, more so than the Brown.

My Ham glaze barley wine received a honorable mention in the style round at the Colorado State Fair home brew competition.

That's better than getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick.

Back