half pears added to secondary. Is it ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudest

Reaction score
I have 5 gal of cider . 2lbs honey 1 lb sugar 1lb corn sugar 1.072 OG I want to add pears canned for flavor its been four days fermentation and slowing with 04. When could I add fruit and not ruin it? I was gonna rack it right onto the pears and let it finish or should I let it finish first?

I would put the pears in the secondary, I've often put extra fruit in my secondary fermenter for wines that I've made, with good success. I usually take the precaution of pouring boiling water over the fruit before adding them to secondary in order to prevent contamination. Allowing it to ferment after adding the pears will remove some of the distinct flavor that it seems your after, but I doubt that you would ruin your cider in either case.

Makes sense I wonder if there were any bacteria though they would be bad right out of the can. Anyway how many halves would you put in I got a giant can full for 8bucks.

Canned I think would be fine. I usually used blackberries or raspberries, and about a cup of berries per gallon. I'm not sure how that would translate to pears, though it might be similar to apples.

Latest posts

Back