Haier kegerator compressor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyBob

Reaction score
Got a haier kegerator and noticing that the compressor gets pretty hot. Coils are on back of fridge. They get hot when running but the compressor get really hot. Cooling normal. No problems. I can't find any info on how it they should be. Seems to be kicking on and off pretty normal. Usually on mid setting it comes on for 15 mins if so then is off for about 20 mins or longer. Any key have experience with this stuff. I bought it used a few weeks ago.

Thanks

I have a Haier, too. I picked it up off of CL for $75. Here's a link to the thread I made for it:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/my-75-craigslist-find-417491/

The compressor does get hot to the touch when running, and I can't vouch for the cycle frequency/times, as this little guy hangs out in the garage next to the beer fridge. I can tell you it has been running great since I fixed it, and holds at a steady 42-45 degrees. (I can't remember where the thermostat is set) If you want, I can get the ol' infrared heat gun out tonight and see what the surface temp of the compressor is when it's running.

I also recently converted mine to a dual regulator/dual tap system with ease. The regulators that come with these guys aren't known for being too well built, and my LHBS has a bin of used ones for parts.

Got a haier kegerator and noticing that the compressor gets pretty hot. Coils are on back of fridge. They get hot when running but the compressor get really hot. Cooling normal. No problems. I can't find any info on how it they should be. Seems to be kicking on and off pretty normal. Usually on mid setting it comes on for 15 mins if so then is off for about 20 mins or longer. Any key have experience with this stuff. I bought it used a few weeks ago.

Thanks

I've had older refrigerators get hot when the compressor comes on. I cleaned the coils by vacuuming the coils and the area around the compressor. The coils will always get warm but making sure they have proper ventilation and are clean will help.

Yea. I would be curious what the temp is. My could are on the back. They get kinda hot when running. When off they are cool. The compressor though is very hot. Not like it would catch paper of fire but hot enough where I couldn't leave my hand on it for more than a few seconds. Mine is inside at a/c temp so I can't imagine it being in 100 plus humidity. Let me know. Thanks

GuyBob....my compressor got up to 155 degrees and the coils got to 113 degrees. I blew a keg, and put a 75 degree ambient keg in there and lowered the thermostat a tad, so it's working a little overtime to cool. Before that, the compressor was in the 130's and the coils were the same.

Thanks for the info. That's pretty warm. I would say mine is pretty close. How much does it cycle on and off? When mine hasn't been opened for awhile it seems to run for about 10-15 minutes and then off for 30-40 mins or so. You got a good deal on that. I paid $300 but everything worked except I had to get new hoses and included a pretty full co2 tank. Guy was trying to get $350. Prob could have done better but I wanted it and still beats 5-600 for new one.

No problem. I really can't vouch for the cycle times or length between cycles. I know yesterday it cycled on and off a couple times the hour and a half I was in the garage, and it probably ran for about 15 min or so. I would say that mine is about spot on with yours, so I guess that means they are running as intended. I had another Haier mini fridge that I used for energy drinks, and when it ran the compressor got pretty warm, and It has been running fine for a few years.

I really think I got a super deal on the kegerator....I did have to drive about 45 minutes (one way) to get it, but still worth the gas! I too, had to buy new lines and hardware for mine, which was no big deal, because I was changing it from a sanke connector to ball lock. All in all, I have about $120 in it. I just added the 2 tap tower and connectors, so that was another $80.

I will tell you this about the Haier products, there is a disc in the PTC (start relay) that tends to go bad without notice, and the fridge will not cool. The part I'm talking about is inside a plastic casing on the left hand side of the compressor. If you take that disc out and flip/rotate it, the fridge will start working again. Both the Kegerator and the mini-fridge I mentioned were saved from this 5 minute fix.

Edit: I did some web research and here is a replacement part that is supposed to work. I am in the process of ordering one for a back-up. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDet...2630592?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=p6r8md

That's awesome info. I wondered what that box was. I copied pages so i know what to get. I hooked a 80 mm computer fan up to it and have it running inside to circulate air. I originally had it set up with a 1 inch hose going to tower so it would cool beer line. I just have it in there now blowing cool air around. Seems to help. Thanks again for the great intel. Here's a pic of my fan setup.

image-570053040.jpg

Im glad the info helped, and I like the fan setup. Does it seem to be making a noticeable difference? I bought the PTC in the link above, and plan on replacing mine, becuase I opened it a week ago and found out it was cracked. I super glued it to see what would happen, and it's still cooling, but I know it needs replacing. I'll post my temp readings after replacing to see if there's any difference.

Here's a pic of mine with the 2 tap and regulator conversion. I just kegged the wifey's brew tonight; a pale ale brewed with orange peel.

image.jpg

It does seem to help a lot. More so when tap is unused for a while and you pour that first beer. Cheap to build if you have a old cell phone charger for outlet. How do you open that box for the switch? I like your set up. Did you have to modify hole at top going from a 2.5 inch to 3 inch tower? I love this site!!

Cool deal on the fan...I may get around to doing that in the near future; we have a ton of old cell chargers. To open the PTC box, there is a stainless metal ring that goes 1/2 way around it. All you need to do is get a small flat head screwdriver, and pry that ring off. Then pull the back part of the box off. Just be careful, because the little disc inside breaks easier than you think if you drop it. You can use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the disc out and flip/rotate it. Also, there is a metallic looking gasket that goes around the disc...this is also fragile, so be careful with it.

To modify the unit for a (2) tap tower, all i had to do was take off the old tower and gasket and put the 3" tower/gasket on. I didn't have to make the hole bigger for the tower, and there is plenty of room to get the lines in there. I did drill mounting holes through the top and into the keg compartment when I installed the tower. I used 3" stainless steel bolts, washers, split ring locks, and nuts to secure it.

I have read that you can make this puppy a 3 tap, but I suppose that is only with the standard corny on the left in my previous pic. The one on the right is a shorter/fatter version, and I can only fit (2) at a time in there. I only have 2 fat and 2 standard, so unless i get more kegs, I'll never know, haha, and I love this site, too...i have definitely learned a lot here!

Update: I ordered the PTC start device from the link I mentioned earlier, and it came in Friday. I installed it that night, and the compressor seems to be cycling & running at the same temp as before. The internal temp seems to hovering around 45-48 with (2) full cornies inside, and the thremostat almost all the way on the "colder" setting. I am not sure if that's as cold as they get stock, but that seems to be as low as she will go.

Here's a pic of my old PTC and the disc...it cracked on me, so I used some heavy duty super glue to hold it together, and it was still working.

image.jpg

That's some good info and thanks for the pic. I'd say mine deff goes below 40. I had a digital thermometer in there when I first got it and it would read 38 most the time and rise slowly. Wasn't on cold setting. Mine is in a/c tho and not outside. I've heard these units shouldn't be. Just can't handle the heat plus they don't have a fan to cool compressor down like a real fridge. You may want to try a stronger pc fan and try to aim at back near compressor and see if this helps.

Thanks for the info on the computer fan, but I am fine with the beer coming out around 42-45. I don't like my beer ice cold, so it works for me, and I keep my other beer fridge around 40-42 as well, but it is good to know that it will get colder. I spend more time in the garage than anywhere else, so I guess I should be good to go. I will move it away from the wall another 1"-2" to see if that helps with the compressor heat, as I don't want to shorten the lifespan of the unit.

Latest posts

Back