Had to harvest my starter early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happywanderer

Reaction score
So - anyway. Don't multitask while making a starter. It doesn't work out well.

This was the 2nd step up for my WLP004.

First a boil over. Small. But really? Ah well. Cleaned up easy enough.

Then over filled the flask by about 200ml. This doesn't sound like much but it pushed me from 1500ml to 1700ml. My flask is only 2000ml.

And then the yeast decided to just go nuts and krausen hit the tin foil pretty quick. I was looking at a blowout situation.

Had to do something and was planning on harvesting 500ml anyway.

So, I pulled the harvest after only 5 hours.

We'll see how this works out in the long run. I figure I've got a good enough shot of having decent yeast. I'm going to shake my harvested yeast as if it were a small starter for about a day then cold crash.

The way I figure it, it shouldn't make a difference as long as I treat the harvest like a starter.

Hopefully this was my big hickup for this brew session. I'd be happy to make it through saturday with zero problems.

Sounds like your harvested volume should be full of healthy and vigorous yeast! From personal experience, make sure the yeast have finished eating the wort before packaging or prepare to see jar lids change shape from flat to domed! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would leave your harvested volume with some foil over it at room temp to let it finish fermenting. Even at cold temps, a sealed jar can continue fermenting, only slower. It would not be nice to have your mason jar or similar explode in your fridge.

Yep - I'm letting it sit for a full 36hrs... so about 24 left to go. This yeast is extremely flocculent and overnight it had a nice yeast cake on the bottom of the jar. Too bad I only have 1 stir plate.

Ah well. I'll just keep shakin' it throughout the day. :ban:

Back