Guys, Guys, Guys, I found a thing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol-hazza

Reaction score
Im way too excited about this, but I'm sure there will be at least 2 other people in the community that will love this, and at least 7 that already knew.

So I found the shortcut for the degree symbol ° !!!!

Doesn't sound like that big of a deal right!! Well actually its no big deal at all.

Unless you want to be able to easily and quickly convert °F to °C, which to be honest still isn't a big deal because I'm getting pretty good at estimating, and also Google exists.

However if it includes the ° it can be done directly in google Chrome's search bar without doing an actual search. So if you could all start using it and go back and edit all of your previous posts that would be great!! (yeh i know thats not happening).

To do this hold ALT and then 248 in sequence on your numerical keypad (the numbers on the side, (google it for laptops)) and voila.

alt + 225 = ß. The alpha symbol isn't working though for some strange reason.

I should really get back to work

Anyone know how to use the Alt+xxxx shortcuts on a laptop without a numeric keypad?

Brew on :mug:

Alt-0176 is one I've known for a long time. Start learning languages that use special characters. You learn a lot of em. Alt-0223, Alt-0252, Alt-0228, Alt-0246, Alt-0220, Alt-0214, Alt-0196, and so on. Or just change the language on your keyboard and relearn it ;)

Alt+F4 is all you need.

Do not listen to this man.

Also, it's great that you found the key sequence for the degree symbol. However, the Chrome URL bar will convert between F and C without the degree symbol. Just type "(number) F in C" (or C in F) and you'll get the same effect (an "= (number) degrees Celsius" as one of the potential "answers").

Also, it's great that you found the key sequence for the degree symbol. However, the Chrome URL bar will convert between F and C without the degree symbol. Just type "(number) F in C" (or C in F) and you'll get the same effect (an "= (number) degrees Celsius" as one of the potential "answers").

I didnt know about the = sign doing it automatically, it was only ever saving a couple of clicks and opening a tab anyway.

The amount of hidden shortcuts in computer programmes is amzing

On my mac i simply hit: FN + OPTION + 0 (zero) and I get the degree superscript.

It's only 2ºF outside right now. Close enough. :)

luckily i can wear shorts to work, otherwise I wouldn't be so happy with myself right now

Most keyboards that way usually have a numeric keyboard embedded. My work computer has it betwee 7, 9, J, and L (and M). Numlock allows me to use it.
Alas, my laptop has no Numlock key :( , nor numerals on the right hand keys (unlike my older laptops.) I guess I'll have to stick with the key map app.

Brew on :mug:

Let me try this again. Couldn't get it to work? 15°F. OK, you have to hold ALT, type symbol number, then release ALT to see it. So my beer's name, as I currently understand it, would be kötbusser. cool. Maybe I'll print out the page as a quick reference? I wonder if it'd work in Apache Open Office as well? Hm...

Let me try this again. Couldn't get it to work? 15°F. OK, you have to hold ALT, type symbol number, then release ALT to see it. So my beer's name, as I currently understand it, would be kötbusser. cool. Maybe I'll print out the page as a quick reference? I wonder if it'd work in Apache Open Office as well? Hm...

It works everywhere ASCII works, which is everything with text. There are even smilies. Tiny ones. ALT + 1 = ☺.

Nerrrrrrrds.

FUN WITH ALT CODES!!!

((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

̿̿̿ ̿ ̿̿’̿’\̵͇̿̿\з==(•̪●)==ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿

Libre Office has it in the Insert>Special Character list, as well as many other choices, but what I can't figure is why anyone would use Chrome as their browser?? It is no better than Internet Exploder - lousy at downloading, changing pages, etc. I like Seamonkey much better, but then I like Linux much better than M$ Winblows too!

Libre Office has it in the Insert>Special Character list, as well as many other choices, but what I can't figure is why anyone would use Chrome as their browser?? It is no better than Internet Exploder - lousy at downloading, changing pages, etc. I like Seamonkey much better, but then I like Linux much better than M$ Winblows too!

I use Chrome mostly because of the developer tools it has...habit the rest of the time.

Also, IE is a bigger target for DoS attacks, takes up more memory (32-bit) than Chrome, and is known to have sniffers.

Oh, and Chrome is portable. I can put it on my phone/tab and pick up where I left of on any device.

On my mac i simply hit: FN + OPTION + 0 (zero) and I get the degree superscript.

It's only 2ºF outside right now. Close enough. :)

OPTION + SHIFT + 8 = °

Sunny and 17.7778° here... which is something of a problem for the ski conditions in Tahoe, but, hey, more winter/spring brew weekends I guess?

Latest posts

Back