Guten 70L, will it run on split-phase 240VAC (USA, Canada) current?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Will the Guten 70L all in one brewing system operate on 240 VAC current such as it is found here in the USA, with its 2 x 120 VAC hot legs, or will it only run on 240 VAC single hot leg electricity such as for most of the rest of the world?

Last edited:
I'd say so.
It's the potential (V) between the poles that counts.
Don't the specs tell you?

Now Europe is 50Hz while the U.S. is 60 Hz, so anything that relies on the mains (net) frequency, such as certain type of motors (e.g., induction motors), mechanical clocks, and timers, won't run accurately. I very much doubt they'd be still in use.

I don't have one. They are being sold at retail only in Australia, and seem to also be available directly from China through Alibaba or AliExpress. What I did see regarding specs said 50/60 HZ. Seems to have a few features that are (in my opinion) a cut above a Robobrew 65L, plus offers 5L more capacity.

A couple features not found on a Robobrew (to my knowledge) are:
1) Power meted out in selectable 100 Watt increments.
2) 3 riser stops/levels on the malt pipe. Don't have to lift it out all the way at one time.
3) A true sight glass with Liter denomination markings.
4) Hop addition time Alarms.
5) A hop spider.
6) 70L capacity

There is a potential for it to not work. Although the voltage is the same (240V), the system and the sensors in it may be designed to use the neutral as a reference. It may expect the neutral to be at 0V potential as it would be in single phase power, and if it's given 120V (split phase power) there will be good deal of noise in the reference signal. I've encountered that before in equipment from Australia.

There is a potential for it to not work. Although the voltage is the same (240V), the system and the sensors in it may be designed to use the neutral as a reference. It may expect the neutral to be at 0V potential as it would be in single phase power, and if it's given 120V (split phase power) there will be good deal of noise in the reference signal. I've encountered that before in equipment from Australia.

California and Kentucky? Love it! :rock:

Hi
I'm using a Guten 70 litre in New Zealand 230v and 50Hz. Works great and so much better than the Robobrew 3.0 I had before. It's quite happy doing 35 litre boils for 30 litre batches as well as full to the max. No boil over worries with the smaller batches. Have changed to a coolossus counterflow chiller via the recirculation pipe and then in through the bottom tap to whirlpool. That said the immersion chiller worked well. You could reach out to Keg king about that voltage issue you mention, the australian suppliers are pretty responsive.

Back