Gusher infection in Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudndeth

Reaction score
Have any of you had an infection after kegging. I had a beer that was good for 2 weeks and then it would pour nothing but foam, lost color, smell and flavor. I have other kegs which are fine and I drank this one for two weeks or more before this happened. It's weird.

Chances are you picked up an infection on the way to the keg or you didn't clean the keg properly. I had one infected batch, and it showed up in the keg.

Might be the Keg. I cleaned with PBW and starsan, I don't think it was the racking equipment. I have a wit I've done after that's fine, for now. Could I clean the lines, or do I have to buy new ones?

This is my first infection as well.

I run starsan and then brewers iodine through all of my lines when I clean kegs. Had no problems to this point. To be honest I thought that was just part of the cleaning process. Would be interested in hearing what others do.

After I blow a keg I will run hot water through the line and will then run Iodine after and let it sit in the line till I tap my next keg. No problems so far.

I run hot water through my lines after every keg, but since I always hookup another keg immediately, I only clean the lines with starsan after 3-4 kegs. It's not even needed to clean them that much unless you have a very potent beer on followed by a light one. Since there's no oxygen in the lines, you have no risk for infection.

Sudndeth, if you do infact have an infection, you need to replace anything plastic that the beer touched. Lines, keg o-rings, possibly your racking equipment and fermentor that was used. You'll find out pretty quickly if your next batch goes sour. Then you know you need to replace stuff. Stainless and glass don't need to be replaced.

Back