Guillain–Barré anyone know much about this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaworm69

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am not very active on many forums, but this is a pretty big community. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with this. My best friend was diagnosed with Guillain–Barré disease about 5 months ago and basically slipped into a coma type stage up until about Feb. He only had a 20% of making it, but he pulled through. (Stubborn ass!:) ) Apparently this disease attacks all the nerves in the body and if it gets to the "core" of the nerves they cannot regenerate. He is making a slow recovery which is expected for anyone with this disease. He has been blind since he "woke up" and the eye doctor just told him he will be blind for the rest of his life. His site was the last thing to go though before diagnosed. I was just wondering (and I know this is a long shot) if anyone has any input on this. While he was hospitalized he was blessed with his 3rd beautiful daughter in which he may never be able to ever see. Its very sad and I would take his place in a heartbeat if I could. If anyone has had experience with this would they please PM me with what we can expect as far as recovery or anything. Thanks.

I'm an RN, working on my doctorate, and used to be on the ambulance. I've seen a few cases, but it's pretty rare.

For the curious, the typical course of this affliction is a paralysis that starts in the feet and slowly creeps upward, damaging nerves as it goes. It can stop and reverse itself at any time, but there's no real cure. Most mortality is related to paralysis of the diaphragm and respiratory muscles.

Of the cases I've been connected with, I still (albeit rarely) talk to 2 patients. One has made almost a complete recovery, and only rarely uses a cane. The other, 5 years later, still has physical therapy appointments several times per week, and can only get around using a walker for short periods, usually relying on a wheelchair.

It's a terrifying disease, and a random one. Your friend's recovery depends on the extent of the damage, as well as any comorbidities, general health, stubbornness, and- honestly- luck.

Latest posts

Back