Growth factor when doing 2 step starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When doing a 2 step starter I usually try to set the growth factors to be roughly equal. So that means I'm doing a smaller 1st step then a larger 2nd step by volume.

Does that make sense? Do others do the same? Do you do equal volume or something else?

Here's the one I'm doing now:

pmdJXxq.jpg

i use mr. malty for the number of yeast cells and then i use a chart from BillyBrew for the steps.

i have been doing 2- 2L starters to get 300billion cells, atleast according to the chart. never actually counted them myself.

I had looked for information on the optimum growth rate or excessive growth rate as it would apply to yeast stress. I could not find any conclusive information that there is an optimum rate. I just make my starters in a manageable size to get the number of cells needed.

When I do a two step starter the first step is typically 1 liter. The second step is always larger, 1.5 liter to 2 liters. This usually propagates the cells I need to ferment beers with an OG less than 1.070.

I am reusing harvested yeast rather than a smack pack.

Thanks. I know I've heard Jamil say in a podcast that you could use any growth factor on his calculator, which is 2-6, so I guess I'll stick to that.

Back