Growler shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I have a long rubber tube that will go to the bottom of my gallon growler. If I fill it this weekend from my taps. Will the beer last two weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No way two days I have gone to my local brewery's and gotten beers that were good a week later

I think as long as all the air is out and only filled with beer and CO2 capped and taped it should last at least a month.

this question always comes down to how good your growler filling technique is (clean and chill growler, lower PSI on keg and purge, fill from bottom up, cap on foam) and how much oxidation you're willing to accept. honestly, I notice a hit in quality after even one day. however, I still usually enjoy the beer for a few days after filling. two weeks is way too long IMO without a counter-pressure filling system.

obviously once you crack it you're committed to drinking the whole thing.

I clean the growler with B-brite, rinse with hot water, fill with filtered water chill, dump it then fill from the bottom. Tape the cap!

No way two days I have gone to my local brewery's and gotten beers that were good a week later

I think the disagreement is in the opening. If you do not open it (a concept I struggle with) then the growler would surely last longer. I open mine when I get home and it needs to be drank in a couple days.

I personally wouldn't go two weeks without a counter pressure filler. With just a growler filler (the tube), try to fill as close to consumption as possible for best results. It would probably still be drinkable two weeks out, but its not going to be its best. Your biggest concern is oxidation, so make sure you cap on foam and wrap some electrical tape around the top.

Oxidation happens when oxygen home in contact with the beer. If you fill the growler with beer and CO2 then tape the cap, why is that not as good a a 7 month beer in a bottle in your refrigerator?

When I get a growler filled locally, they tell me I have 24 hours to consume the beer. I have gone as long as 72 hours and mostly experienced acceptable beer. 24 hours though, is the norm accepted around here for fresh growler refill longevity.

Back