growler saver for carbing 1 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
Has anyone here used the growler saver to force carb any of their Ciders in growlers/carboys of any size, be it 32 oz or 128oz (1 Gallon)?

I think those are just supposed to preserve the CO2 already in your beverage by displacing the O2, not so much force carb the beverage. The amount of CO2 to force carb something would probably not make it economically practical to use the little canisters. That said, I've never used a GS before so I guess it's possible in theory.

I have friends that used a growler, and it works, but they were very cautious about the amount is pressure the brew would create, as they said there was a chance the growler might explode under the pressure.

I would definitely not naturally bottle carb in a growler with priming sugar or even put a cider in one that wasn't fully fermented.

I think those are just supposed to preserve the CO2 already in your beverage by displacing the O2, not so much force carb the beverage. The amount of CO2 to force carb something would probably not make it economically practical to use the little canisters. That said, I've never used a GS before so I guess it's possible in theory.

apparently you can get an adapter for it to use a regular CO2 tank.

I have the carb cap and used it for ciders and beers in an old 2 litter soda bottle. Works well...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

No.

It's like this. Growlers are not meant to hold pressure associated with carbonating. They are for transporting :stuff that has already been carbonatED. There's a lot more pressure involved in carbonatING something. Growlers, because they are not meant to hold pressure, can explode with enormous force if you try to carbonate in them.

Some people do it, but it's not advisable. Just like some people drive without a seat belt, ride a motorcycle without a helmet, etc. and nothing bad happens, but when something does go wrong, it goes REALLY wrong. Some have the stomach for that, others think that seat-of-the-pants stuff is really foolish. Force carbing in a growler is like that.

No.

It's like this. Growlers are not meant to hold pressure associated with carbonating. They are for transporting :stuff that has already been carbonatED. There's a lot more pressure involved in carbonatING something. Growlers, because they are not meant to hold pressure, can explode with enormous force if you try to carbonate in them.

Some people do it, but it's not advisable. Just like some people drive without a seat belt, ride a motorcycle without a helmet, etc. and nothing bad happens, but when something does go wrong, it goes REALLY wrong. Some have the stomach for that, others think that seat-of-the-pants stuff is really foolish. Force carbing in a growler is like that.

so the only sane way to do it, is to pressure test several growlers to failure, record the results, and then stay well short of that pressure, if that threshold is even enough to get you a decent level of carbonation. That's not something I have the time or resources for, so i'll just stay away from it. Maybe one day I'll buy a keg.some years from now.

Or bottle in 12 oz longnecks with crown caps, which ARE meant to hold that kind of pressure.

Or bottle in 12 oz longnecks with crown caps, which ARE meant to hold that kind of pressure.

Well, yes that would be the sane and normal way. Which is of course also good.

I should have said "the only sane, but mad-scientist-esque way to do it in a growler would be to first" go about the testing as outlined above.

but yeah, longnecks works too.

Yes, it is possible. The Growler Saver features a pressure relief valve set at 15psi, so you won't over-pressurize the growler vessel. You might need to periodically "top off" the growler with CO2 until it reaches carbonation stasis, as head pressure could decrease each time as the carbon dioxide dissolves into solution. It will likely take longer than force-carbing, since you are dealing with lower gas pressures. In the original Kickstarter project, Steve references re-carbonating flat beer, and the same principles would apply for initial carbonation:

Can the Growler Saver re-carbonate flat beer or a growler that was not filled to optimal conditions?

Yes, in addition to ensuring lasting freshness and carbonation, beer drinkers can use the Growler Saver to re-carbonate beer inside their growlers. Most of us have experienced a flat growler, even upon its initial opening. The trusted principles behind the Growler Saver's design will allow users to re-carbonate their beer and turn it back into the beverage that was intended to be enjoyed right out of the tap.

Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1691296505/the-growler-savertm-the-last-pour-is-as-good-as-th

Hope this helps!

Back