Growing some barley this year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StMarcos

Reaction score
Planted a bit late. With some luck I'll be able to get a crop of corn in there when the barley is out! About 500ft^2 of organic conlon 2-row. I think I calculated I could get 35lbs or so. Who knows. It will be fun in any case. The soil is sandy loam with nearly zero organic content. I didn't amend anything. I've malted barley and wheat before, but never that much. Maybe I'll turn it all into some specialty malt like that bloke from Palo Alto did last year.

conlon1.jpg

conlon2.jpg

Oh yeah, I planted about double the recommended rate, as I wasn't sure of the viability of two-year-old seed. Seems to be nearly 100%! Went through and thinned the whole lot with scissors today. Hopefully gophers won't raid the patch.

Looked up various numbers, then figured 80% of the low end. Not too fancy of a calculation. I'm shooting blind with soil fertility, planted late, and not counting on pests. On the plus side, I can hand weed and monitor things very closely. Plus I'm not counting the pathways, so plenty of sun should get around.

July 10th. Most of the kernels were very hard and dry so I harvested it. A very few were quite green, as I had thinned the patch by cutting some out, but being a grass, it grew back and seeded out later. It was pretty easy to harvest with a good pair of hand shears into a bucket lined with an old pillowcase. I then smacked the case with the side of a hatchet for a couple of minutes. This got most of the grain out. I got a little more out in the winnowing station by rubbing the straw/chaff between my hands.

conlon11.jpg

conlon12.jpg

Winnowing was pretty easy. Could have used a stronger fan though. At first I tried pouring between two buckets, but it proved easier to just pour it straight onto the tarp. 16lbs in the bucket, which is probably 2/3 of it. Not sure of the average moisture content. Guess it's supposed to rest for a month or two before malting.

conlon13.jpg

conlon14.jpg

conlon15.jpg

awesome!!!! I am going to grow my own barley next year. Trying to learn to malt currently so i can do my own!!

I'm curious about how much seed it takes to make so much grain.

Do you know how many pounds of seed grain you planted?

I planted over a pound, thinking that the viability would not be great with the few-year-old seed. However I reckon the viability was ~98%, so I had overplanted. I should have used the recommended 1lb/500ft^2. Works out to 1 seed every inch in a row, with rows 6'' apart.

Back