Growing in the winter- like it or not!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
So I've got a few hop's planted in the yard, and some others that are in Huge 40+ gal. tubs that I brought into the basement for the winter so that they would not freeze and die. And- they think it's go time. I have a dozen or so 18 inch sprouts! I guess there is sunlight down there- but it's minimal- and there are holes on the bottom of the tubs, and there has been water on the floor after excessive melting drained into the basement, and the main sewer line clogging- resulting in gallons and gallons of soapy clothing washer runoff accumulating on the floor.
Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone think that there are negative effects? (like them not wanting to cooperate in the Real spring?) Soapy water should not be toooo harmful, right?
And just FYI- SWMBO will NOT let them grow all winter down there! (Sigh....)

I would say that if you can't keep them down there for the duration, it is better to let them go dormant at the usual time rather than to fool with them.

I'd just wait for a little warm snap, sometime when the temps will be over, or at least close to 32F for a couple days and then put them outside, up against the house, in a sheltered spot. They'll be fine. I kept a hop plant in a 1 gal pot for 2 yrs, outside all year, while waiting for the spot I had picked out to get ready (I had a retaining wall replaced). My winter is typically going to be colder than yours.

Yeah, hops don't "freeze and die," otherwise they wouldn't come back every year! Better to leave them out in the elements, I think, as those are the conditions that they have evolved to.

You brought them inside for the winter in NJ?
That is a moderate environment for hops. They will survive much colder winters than you will ever see. I think Yooper has some grow in northern Michigan. Keep them outside for best results.

I think you need to get them outside ASAP. Place them in a sheltered area and cover heavily with mulch. That should be enough to protect them until spring. However these hops may get hurt and likely won't be as productive this year.

Craig

Cut the shoots off at ground level, lay a nice, thick layer of mulch on top and get the pot back outside. They need to be dormant through the winter.

I haven't grown hops yet, but I'm pretty sure that many types of perennial plants will not properly bloom if they don't get their winter dormant period.

The fear of the freezing is from them being in pots- I'm well aware of the fact that Hops are perennial- but being in the ground means that exposure only comes from above- but in a pot it comes from the sides, etc. too. Their roots get soo deep- that I'd assume that most of them are deep enough that the soil temp is constant year long- which is a different depth in any one given area- depending on the level of top soil. I was thinking about cutting them and placing board over-top so that no sunlight is present. But if so many people have had them in pots year-round- I'm considering moving them back....

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone think that there are negative effects?

One big negative effect....YOUR HOPS NEED TO SLEEP AND GET SOME REST!:confused:
I live in Central WA(duh) and every winter we get into the negative digits for long periods of time. My hops come back every year, not to mention in Yakima(next door) where most hop farms are, the temps always fall low.
Get those suckas' outside next winter. As of for now, put them in a cool place(not above 40F). You may not have a great yield this coming summer due to the strain on the plants. How old are they now?

Also, I too have had hops in homemade planter boxes and they had no problem with -11F temps during the winter....came back strong and an increase in yield.

But don't worry about them. They are a desert weed and they simply keep coming back year after year....you'll be all good.

The fear of the freezing is from them being in pots- I'm well aware of the fact that Hops are perennial- but being in the ground means that exposure only comes from above- but in a pot it comes from the sides, etc. too. Their roots get soo deep- that I'd assume that most of them are deep enough that the soil temp is constant year long- which is a different depth in any one given area- depending on the level of top soil. I was thinking about cutting them and placing board over-top so that no sunlight is present. But if so many people have had them in pots year-round- I'm considering moving them back....

It is not the sunlight that is triggering the growth but the soil temps. Without sunlight you will just get pale sprouts instead of green sprouts. If you have them in a 40gal pot the will be plenty safe outside. If you are concerned just pile mulch around the pot for extra insulation.

Craig

It is not the sunlight that is triggering the growth but the soil temps. Without sunlight you will just get pale sprouts instead of green sprouts. If you have them in a 40gal pot the will be plenty safe outside. If you are concerned just pile mulch around the pot for extra insulation.

Craig

Very true.

Those shoots are consuming the energy stored in the roots. Since they aren't getting much sunlight, they'll just die when the roots can't support them any more. Cut the shoots and put the pots outside.

Freezing doesn't both the shoots if they are getting sunlight. My hop shoots were buried in a late snow storm last Spring.

Back