Growing Hops in Wisconsin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffalles12

Reaction score
Hey ya'll..... I'm looking to start growing some hops of my own, Wondering what advise there might be on growing in the Milwaukee area?!?!?!?!?

Chop & Brew had some pretty good videos on growing hops in the St.Paul area. Climate wise we are pretty close. I have a pretty big pole barn with the main wall having a southern exposure which would work out great for hops. I am debating on ordering some, I probably should and do the bucket method for this year as I have some prep work before I could do direct planting. I need to adjust the landscaping and I want to build those boxes that they put in the ground. The challenge is that you want to put them in the ground around when the ground thaws. I would need to wait till then to be able to do the landscaping and I doubt I will have the time to get it all done at the right time. But planters could work for the first year. Move them to the root cellar for the winter and then plant next year.

Part 1

Part 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey ya'll..... I'm looking to start growing some hops of my own, Wondering what advise there might be on growing in the Milwaukee area?!?!?!?!?

If you're not adverse to it, feel free to come join the Minnesota Hop Growers Association for our annual meeting next month?!

http://www.mhga.org

Otherwise the Wisconsin Hop Exchange is offering workshops in the next couple weeks as well.

http://coop.wisconsinhopexchange.com/

I attended the Backyard Hop Growing workshop offered by www.thehopgarden.net on 2/8/13. The workshop was great and Rich really knows his stuff.

The knowledge he gained though his experience and shared definitely makes me more comfortable taking this endeavor on. If winter ever ends, I am excited to start.

Well worth the $35 or $40.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I also went to the seminar. On January 25th.

I agree. He really knows his stuff. He's hoping to open a hop farm/craft brewery type of setup- sort of the beer version of a vineyard/winery.

Even if he doesn't have training scheduled, shoot him an email. He's a super nice guy and has a great presentation put together.

1st year grower north of mke...how much should I be watering? I heard 5 gallons a day per hop hill but that seems like a ton. I read get a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot, drill a 1/8 hole in bottom and let it drain slowly (taking about 15 min to drain 5 gallons)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back