Growing Hops in St Louis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPORT546

Reaction score
I am very seriously considering trying to grow some hops this year. I am just curious if anyone from Stl would mind sharing there experiences who have already done this. I'm primarily curious what kinds people are having success with in the bi-polar weather we have here.

I ship quite a few hops to the southern states. The C's are the most popular. Cascade and Columbus seem to perform well. Also, look for the newer hybrid varieties; many have superior resistance to mildews caused by high humidity.

CPORT546 said:
I am very seriously considering trying to grow some hops this year. I am just curious if anyone from Stl would mind sharing there experiences who have already done this. I'm primarily curious what kinds people are having success with in the bi-polar weather we have here.

I myself live in STL and am considering growing hops, but I've been told they are very invasive

They can't be any worse than the awful tiger lillys that the last lady planted all over my yard.

I grew cascade and chinook this year in st. louis mo.
I planted 5 of each. The chinook definitely did better in the first year.
Total was about 9 1/2 pounds wet weight. Forgot to get a dry weight before friends, family and fellow homebrewers started taking sacks of them home.

very happy with the first year growth. I didn't water much and probably left on the bine too long, but the first dry hopped pale ale my buddy brewed with both hops came out with a great aroma and spicy finish.

I ordered from freshops. Left the rhizomes in the fridge for 7 - 10 days before i was able to get them potted. didn't get them from the pot into the ground until the first week of may and be late june, they were climbing 1 foot a day!

I have some pictures on my facebook page, but if you have any questions, i can try and help!

Chateau LaBeaume | Facebook

Back