Grout Cleaning Olympics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One must prevail!

Participants:
  • CLR
  • Homemade PBW (70% oxyclean, 30% TSP) - half scoop dissolved into 1c water
  • Goof Off 2
  • Starsan (1 capful mixed into 1c water)
  • Nature's Miracle Oxy Formula
  • Magic Grout Cleaner (from Lowes)
  • Straight bleach

Process: wet the area, let sit for 5m, brush for 30s, clean with wet rag, dry.

I've done this test with bleach vs ammonia vs some other stuff, and bleach won. That was the last olympics. Now I'm hoping for some russian doping to find a new winner.

_mg_1607-67431.jpg

It was lethally toxic to everything.

Sorry...

;)

I'm guessing the "safe on plastic" statement didn't pan out. I saw some complaints about that on a review site.

I ended up finishing the kitchen with the following product. Laundry room gets done tonight (hopefully). Worked fine (probably not well enough to take the crown, but now that the reigning champ is dead we'll never know).

410tTzAUKiL.jpg

If you have a good respirator rated for VOC's and can ventilate the area after, adding a little vinegar to the bleach solution works incredible.

There is a new champion!

I did a brief comparison of Zep grout cleaner vs Softscrub with Bleach. The latter won. However, there is much more cleanup necessary with the softscrub, due to the white pumice it leaves behind.

Home depot carries this. They also have a nifty grout brush that works WAY better than a toothbrush or similar.
1661722376550.png
1661722468686.png

There is a new champion!

I did a brief comparison of Zep grout cleaner vs Softscrub with Bleach. The latter won. However, there is much more cleanup necessary with the softscrub, due to the white pumice it leaves behind.

Home depot carries this. They also have a nifty grout brush that works WAY better than a toothbrush or similar.
View attachment 779208View attachment 779209
This did work well. Took a bit of elbow greast to give each segment a few scrubs.

Note that there is a bit of mopping to clean up the residue left by softscrub. The pumice that's left behind leaves a white powder that needs to be mopped up. Not a big deal, but on the other hand if you want the quickest job, albiet not the best cleaner, the ZEP product above worked well and doesn't leave the residue.

Something else to consider.....I've used a wall paper steamer on grout. Works well. Used a stiff brush to dully scrub it clean.

Also use bar keepers friend on grout. Works too but makes a bug soapy mess. Usually leave that for tough stains.

Something else to consider.....I've used a wall paper steamer on grout. Works well. Used a stiff brush to dully scrub it clean.

Also use bar keepers friend on grout. Works too but makes a bug soapy mess. Usually leave that for tough stains.

I tested BKF. Not a contender.

We just sold a little steamer in a garage sale. I was thinking about giving it a go on some of my kitchen floor.

Anyway, it's done, looks great (albeit not perfect).

Have you re-sealed the grout after cleaning it? I would think that would stop it from staining so easily. I really haven’t had this problem with any grout. Grout really should be sealed every few years.

I might do that. But if it only lasts a few years, I might as well just clean it instead?
Well, maybe. But sealing grout is very easy. I can do a bathroom and shower in like 2 minutes. Sealing grout also protects it from damage over time, otherwise tiny little pieces will erode away. The sealer basically makes the grout impermeable.

If you do apply sealer on that particular tile, just apply it to the grout and the tile. If you just apply it to the grout lines, you'll inevitably get some on the tile, and it might make the edges of the tile look slightly shinier. Most likely the tradesman that laid that tile, sealed the tile BEFORE he applied the grout, to help protect against grout haze, and then sealed after the grout was in and dry, so it might not matter, but also many don't pre-seal ceramic, they only do that to natural (more porous) tile.

Well, maybe. But sealing grout is very easy. I can do a bathroom and shower in like 2 minutes. Sealing grout also protects it from damage over time, otherwise tiny little pieces will erode away. The sealer basically makes the grout impermeable.

If you do apply sealer on that particular tile, just apply it to the grout and the tile. If you just apply it to the grout lines, you'll inevitably get some on the tile, and it might make the edges of the tile look slightly shinier. Most likely the tradesman that laid that tile, sealed the tile BEFORE he applied the grout, to help protect against grout haze, and then sealed after the grout was in and dry, so it might not matter, but also many don't pre-seal ceramic, they only do that to natural (more porous) tile.

I laid a bunch of travertine a few years ago. Definitely sealed that. Wish I had it in my kitchen - VERY little grout there and flush with surface - no bevel on natural stone tiles.

I'm sure this was sealed when it was put in. We went with an upgraded "poly" grout too. Didn't make a lot of difference. This is the 3rd time I've cleaned it since we put it in, about 2008 I think. It gets fairly clean each time, so that's good. Used to be a lot easier to get down on the floor and do it :( I'm less flexible these days.
1661787260758.png

I have cleaned carpet and tile for 30 years and have a couple suggestions. The dirty grout demon brush is worth every penny for scrubbing as needed, while standing up. The best & most widely available alkaline tile and grout cleaner is super washing soda and a small amount of dawn is a good surfactant. 2 oz SWS & ½ tsp Dawn per gallon mixed with hot tap water per gallon is fantastic. Dwell time is great for less scrubbing, we keep the floor wet with a flat mop as it dwells. Alkaline cleaning is safe for most all tile, Acid cleaners like the zep above are great for bathroom stains that alkaline cleaning didn't get. However, Acid cleaners are not safe on any natural stone, they will dissolve it. A drop of acid cleaner in an inconspicuous area on a tile is a good test, if it smokes, its not compatible. Good luck!

I have cleaned carpet and tile for 30 years and have a couple suggestions. The dirty grout demon brush is worth every penny for scrubbing as needed, while standing up. The best & most widely available alkaline tile and grout cleaner is super washing soda and a small amount of dawn is a good surfactant. 2 oz SWS & ½ tsp Dawn per gallon mixed with hot tap water per gallon is fantastic. Dwell time is great for less scrubbing, we keep the floor wet with a flat mop as it dwells. Alkaline cleaning is safe for most all tile, Acid cleaners like the zep above are great for bathroom stains that alkaline cleaning didn't get. However, Acid cleaners are not safe on any natural stone, they will dissolve it. A drop of acid cleaner in an inconspicuous area on a tile is a good test, if it smokes, its not compatible. Good luck!
Thanks for this. The best advice usually comes from experts. I’m going to buy some SWS to mix with Dawn and give it a try on the grout in our shower. Any pro tips on using on the grout on tiled shower walls? A bleach mixture kills any mold, but some of the light beige colored grout never seems to get as clean as other parts. I’d love it if this works to clean our grout more uniformly.

Home Depot sells a grout colorant that is basically paint for your grout. You can completely change the color of the grout. It's a bit of a pain in the arse because you have to use a sponge-brush and carefully paint all the grout, but it'll fix uncleanable grout. Test on an inconspicuous area first!

1661798498209.png

Done! While on the floor, I kept thinking I could adapt my brush to a broom handle. Of course, it already exists duh. I bought another model that was Prime free shipping on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0986YJTHQ?psc=1&smid=A21TR1UE950Q7I&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Thanks for this. The best advice usually comes from experts. I’m going to buy some SWS to mix with Dawn and give it a try on the grout in our shower. Any pro tips on using on the grout on tiled shower walls? A bleach mixture kills any mold, but some of the light beige colored grout never seems to get as clean as other parts. I’d love it if this works to clean our grout more uniformly.
For showers there are multiple types of build up (soap scum, mineral deposits and possibly mold and mildew) and you might require a multi prong attack. You might need alkaline cleaning, acid cleaning and then peroxide to restore to your liking. The recipe above is good for the alkaline, zep for the acid (Use gloves and eye protection) and sometimes 40 volume hairdressers peroxide (from beauty supply stores) is magical for tough deep stains after cleaning with alkaline and acid formulas. Sometimes there are stains that just permanent or only slowly get better with regular cleanings. Coloring the grout like described above is always an option, it's tedious but works well for certain situations.

We have tile spinner tools that use 1000 psi at 200°F+ and they immediately recover the water, however 99% of the time in residential the right cleaning solution, a dirty grout demon and a mop is really all that is required.

An ancillary benefit from having super washing soda around is to use the leftovers to make homemade pbw.

35% sodium percarbonate
45% Arm & Hammer super washing soda
20% 7th Generation automatic dishwasher detergent or similar

The above works amazing and is affordable enough to use with a heavy hand. I keep my coffee carafe sparkling clean with it as well.

Great. You've got me thinking about cleaning my grout. Trying decide between this brush and the Grout Demon. How is your brush holding up? Would you recommend it?
I cleaned the kitchen floor without those brushes. Ordered them because I have a couple of bathrooms to do (later).

I did receive the brushes though. I haven't used that Demon model, but after trying these I have no remorse. Did a quick test with them and they work near perfectly. The only thing they are missing is a more weight. The pole that they come with seems sturdy but too light. When I use them, I'll probably tape some weight to the pole in order to put more downward force on the brush. They have the standard broomstick thread, so you could easily use a wooden pole from a broom, painter extension, etc.

BTW, the brushes came with an interesting formula for making your own grout cleaning solution with baking soda and vinegar. I tested their recipe side-by-side with soft scrub w/bleach. It worked better than expected, but not as good as soft scrub. I'm glad, because I didn't want to make part of the house smell of vinegar.

Another test. Washing soda is not as good as Soft Scrub w/Bleach (see post #17 above). Also, this powder makes quite a mess - doesn't really dissolve well in water. I made a slurry/pasted with it (can't see in pic). Left it on for 30m. It dried back into it's original powder. Perhaps this isn't the best process. Just kind of a mess to deal with.

1677980097367.png

We used to have tile in the kitchen and dining room, I think they were fired terra cotta, and between sealing and Future-ing and cleaning grout it was a pita. When we redid that end of the house we switched to full thickness oak and living with that floor has never been easier...

Cheers!

Another test. Washing soda is not as good as Soft Scrub w/Bleach (see post #17 above). Also, this powder makes quite a mess - doesn't really dissolve well in water. I made a slurry/pasted with it (can't see in pic). Left it on for 30m. It dried back into it's original powder. Perhaps this isn't the best process. Just kind of a mess to deal with.
Washing soda is the main component in (traditional) powdered laundry detergents, such as Surf. It's main component is Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3), dissolves best in warm or hot water, and solutions are very alkaline (high pH). It's a very decent cleaner. It would be similar to OxiClean without the PerCarbonate and thus no Oxygen action.

A very different product and application compared to Soft Scrub which is a mild abrasive/fine scouring powder.

Back