Grinding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

widsith

Reaction score
I was planning on trying a partial mash, but at the LHBS, there was no facility for customers to grind their grains. (I had heard some LHBSs offer this.) I said fsck it and bought what I needed anyway. So any advice on how to grind my grains on the cheap?

Rolling pin?

Meat grinder? (I have one)

Coffee grinder? (Or rather the second one I use for grinding spices)

Other thoughts?

Im looking at about 7lb of grain, BIAB, if that adjusts anyones thinking. If I stick with partial mash (and eventually all grain), I expect to make an investment in proper grinding equip, but Id rather not make too much of an invest for this one batch. Appreciate the advice.

IMO Nothing can compare to a roller mill

I use a corona type mill mounting in a HD bucket and get OK efficiency

A rolling pin COULD work but you will need a good crush on the husk to expose the endosperm and rolling out 7pounds will take you atleast 2-3hours
Ive also heard of BIAB'ers grinding to an almost powder since theres no lautering involved, you might be able to get away with the coffee grinder.

Cheers!

I'd go coffee grinder if it's a burr grinder. If it's a blade grinder, you'd need to run it in short pulses and stop before you get too fine. Burr grinder should be able to set to french press or percolator (whatever is most coarse) and be mostly OK. If it's BIAB you would be fine. If you're using a manifold you might want some rice hulls. Go grab a paint strainer bag and do an impromptu BIAB. Corona mills are great. I use one, 80% efficiency every single time for a year now.

I'd go coffee grinder if it's a burr grinder. If it's a blade grinder, you'd need to run it in short pulses and stop before you get too fine. Burr grinder should be able to set to french press or percolator (whatever is most coarse) and be mostly OK.

Make a coffee stout by grinding it at the grocery store's coffee grinder. :D

I was using an old mini food processor with a cup or two at a time. Pulse 3-4 times at 2-3 seconds per pulse. You'll def need a fine mesh paint strainer bag. At least a medium mesh one. Problem is,it also seems to have something to do with the dissolved protiens leading to chill haze later. So use irish moss or equivalent if you have it. I use Fivestar super moss.
Then I got a Barleycrusher grain mill with tax money. The factory setting of .039" is perfect. Cut the fine floury stuff strained out to about a cup. Going to order a shorter nylon bag to better fit my BK/MT that's fine mesh rather than course & try that out on a batch. I thought maybe the fine mesh would creat an effect similar to vorlaufing.

I used to use a blender, like the kind you would use to make a frozen margarita. It worked fine, but you can't dump all the grain in at once. I was using 3-4lbs for the PM with a grain sack and ground about 1/2 a pound at a time.

Lucky you! Try doing a rounded handful at a time with 6lbs. :drunk::D I was really glad to get my new Barleycrusher grain mill! Fit's my orange Homer Cheapo bucket perfectly. So now Homer's got one more job he has to do...:mug:

I bit the bullet and bought a Barleycrusher too. It grinds nice, but I'm not thrilled with the crank handle that likes to come loose occasionally in the middle of my grind.

I was using an old mini food processor with a cup or two at a time. Pulse 3-4 times at 2-3 seconds per pulse.

Ive got a full on 14c food processor. Could make it go quicker.

You'll def need a fine mesh paint strainer bag.

Already have one of those.

I was looking for a cheap hand-grinder at the LHBS, but they didnt have one -- its really more of a Home Wine Store.

Ill stop by the Kitchen Everything, if I can find something for $30-$40, Ill probably pick it up, otherwise, food-pro may be the backup plan.

Since you have the fine mesh bag,you could just use the food processor. But I'll warn ya now you're gunna get that thing ta stankin long before you're done. you'll smell armature windings getting hot. So a Corona mill would be the best of the cheapest bets at this point.
And randy bugger,make sure the crank handle's lock screw is against the flat area ground onto the end of the crankshaft. & crank that sumbitch down so tight it screams! I did that on mine with a 3/8" drive ratchet & a 1/4" drive 6 point socket. I forget the size right off. Mine didn't slip once.
**& since it's TGIF time,& we're talkin grinder,here's alil 6 feet under doin the old Judas Priest tune. Music is pretty close;

Last edited by a moderator:
Found a grain/cereal grinder (corona style) for $35 at the local all things kitchen store. Thanks all for the advice.

Latest posts

Back