Grilled fruit addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeDFH

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing in a day or two (either a Wit or a Hefewezien) I think an addition of peaches or apricots would be a nice touch for summertime. However I'm also thinking about grilling them (possibly over cedar or hickory) my question is how and when should I add them. Should I purée them.

I did this with a Spiced Pumpkin Porter that I made. I hacked up a huge pumpkin, sprinkled brown sugar and cinnamon all over it, and then I charred it on the grill. After it was charred I wrapped it in foil and let it continue to bake over in-direct heat until it was very tender. Then I pureed it and dumped it in to the mash. It turned out to be one of my best creations! I'm still aging a few bottles, and they get more fantastic as time goes by.

With that said I would imagine you could do the same, or you could probably add the chunks or puree to a secondary.

That is possibly one of the greatest flavor profiles I've ever heard I might need to steal that idea

That is possibly one of the greatest flavor profiles I've ever heard I might need to steal that idea

If you like porters and pumpkin beers you won't be disappointed!

Keep in mind that grilling any type of fruit and putting it in beer will also provide a smoky character to the beer. Everyone's tastes are different, but I only like smoke character in darker beers. I'm not sure if I would like it in a Wit or Hef. That's just me, though.

I'd grill them, then puree them and then dump them into a secondary and rack the brew on top of it after active fermentation stops and leave it there for a few days to a week, depending on how much flavor u want.

Thanks for the input guys! Would that porter have a recipe you'd be willing to part with stauff?

Thanks for the input guys! Would that porter have a recipe you'd be willing to part with stauff?

I'm assuming you do extract, since this is in an extract sub-forum? My recipe is all grain, but it can be converted.

Yes I am a rookie but I started in extract to get the basics down I have been experimenting with hybrids with the intention of going fully AG but I do have a recipe archive I'm collecting for All of them

Back