Grill Grate False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekraken

Reaction score
Regarding false bottoms specifically for biab, I know brewhardware makes one. In their description they say about a max of 1/2" spacing between grids is best so as to keep from pulling the bag through. (I will be recirculating with a pump)

What about using a new grill grate that's just the right diameter for the pot and tacking some standoffs to the bottom? Now the grate's wires only run in one direction instead of both directions like brewhardware's, would this be an issue?

Other than that the wires are much thicker and actually spaced closer together which I'm guessing would make for a more heavy duty option.

That would work but I think overtime it would rust since its just steel not stainless. I BBQ a lot and noticed my lower grill grate started rusting a couple moths ago. Not a big deal when all its doing is holding charcoal but wouldn't want that in your beer.

When I looked at the trades on this question, it was pretty easy to justify the one from brewhardware. A grate from Amazon ranges from $10-$30 dollars, are debatably stainless, and don't include feet or other means to set it up in your kettle.

The false bottoms from brewhardware are, like, $30. They're actually 100% stainless and they include everything you need. Saving $20 (at most) is not worth creating a project IMO.

It'll be all stainless. The project, should I decide to pursue it, would be done by a local fab shop that specializes in custom grill accessories. I've been a happy loyal customer of theirs for a few years now for my grilling habit.

So is it necessary to have grates in both directions ya think?

So is it necessary to have grates in both directions ya think?

My thoughts are that at a minimum, grates in both directions are desirable. Without the grates criss crossing each other there will be a long span of unsupported wire that can easily flex in the horizontal plane, even if the wires are narrowly spaced.

I have a buddy that would custom weld anything stainless that I want. I would still go with the @Bobby_M false bottom because to me it wouldn't be worth the savings to DIY.

Back