Greetings from Tampa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbqguy

Reaction score
I used to visit this forum alot when I started experimenting with extracts. I lost track of the forum until I received a newsletter in my e-mail on Friday (thanks for reminding me).

I'd like to switch to all grain methods to stay challenged and keep learning, but other than reading about what seems extremely complicated I haven't really gotten much farther along. I guess I need to find a local mentor or some "ready made" equipment and detailed instructions (maybe a video) if such material exists.

The local home brew clubs seem to meet too late in the evening during the week for my schedule.

I thought the local home brewing supply store would be a viable source of all grain information, but it's been my experience that if you don't know exactly what you need/want you're pretty much out of luck.

welcome alot good advice on this forum. i have family that lives about 15min north of tampa visited a couple years ago nice city

I used to visit this forum alot when I started experimenting with extracts. I lost track of the forum until I received a newsletter in my e-mail on Friday (thanks for reminding me).

I'd like to switch to all grain methods to stay challenged and keep learning, but other than reading about what seems extremely complicated I haven't really gotten much farther along. I guess I need to find a local mentor or some "ready made" equipment and detailed instructions (maybe a video) if such material exists.

The local home brew clubs seem to meet too late in the evening during the week for my schedule.

I thought the local home brewing supply store would be a viable source of all grain information, but it's been my experience that if you don't know exactly what you need/want you're pretty much out of luck.

Yeah the TAMPA BAY BEERS does meet kinda late, but typically I go there and have dinner, drink then drive home late.

Try Southern Brewing Supply, they have a great selection, he is very knowledgeable, and also brews. As far as all grain goes, its not as complicated as most people seem, and if you have not gotten into it by the time I get back, I would be glad to help you out if you want.

I dont get back till Nov though. Deployed to Iraq right now.

Sherpa,

Thanks for everything you do.

I agree that Southern Brewing Supply has a great selection and I'm sure they are very knowledgeable, but they are not very newbie friendly. My experience after 3 visits is that you really need to know what you want, how much you want, etc.

The folks at Beer and Winemaking Pantry are much nicer and much better at answering questions, but the trade off is that they are farther from my house and seem to be geared more toward wine making, although they do have a nice selection of extract kits.

Welcome back to HBT!
I agree that jumping into AG isn't that hard to do. It's one of those things that can be as complicated as you want to make it. My feeling is that if you know how to make tea or coffee, you have the core skills it takes. Believe me, that's about the level I was when I leaped into it.
As far as Southern Homebrew Supply, I have visited there on a few occasions and have been thrilled with the service. If the Beer and Winemaking folks meet your needs, then you should be in good shape.
I love my LHBS, but Southern is like a big brewers candy store to me.
As you get more experienced, they may end up being a great resource to you.

Welcome!

My daughter lives in Tampa and my wife and I was down for a visit a few weeks ago. We hit Tampa Bay Brewing, Cigar City Brewery, and the Independent. Had a great time and some good beer.

Latest posts

Back