Green tea beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
So I plan on creating an extract beer that involves green tea. I got a couple of questions and a couple of ideas.

Could I use tea that is already packaged and bagged like biggelow tea or something like that or should I be using whole leave?

My plan would be to steep a fair amount of tea in the boil before the specialty grains are added at a temperature of around 150 then add the specialty grains after the tea is removed.

From there I would brew the batch normally maybe add a few more ounces or bags of tea within the last 5 minutes or at flame out.

Next I would cool the wort and before pitching the yeast I would add a few ounces of cold brewed green tea.

After about a week or a week and a half I would transfer the beer to the secondary and add a few more bags of tea.

When I came time to bottle I would try the beer and see what it tastes like. If it's not the taste I'm looking for I would probably add more cold brewed tea straight to the bottling bucket.

I know that green tea is a fragile flavor and would be quite easy to lose the taste within the brew, so my idea is that if I am consistently adding tea to every step I'm going to have a lot more luck with getting the flavor in looking for.

Please let me know what you think and if in overlooking anything on this batch. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Boiling or adding before fermentation is a bad idea. It will most likely lose all the tea flavor. The best green tea is steeped at 170F for about 4 minutes. So this is all I would do to it before adding. I also remove tea and sterilize by keeping it above 154F for 15 minutes.

Here is what I did and my test sample are great.

I brewed a blonde ale recipe for 5 gallons ended boil with only 4 gallons of wort and transferred to 5 gallon carboy and pitched yeast (Notty).

I waited about a week then I brewed a gallon of double strength green tea using the best loose leaf green tea I could get. It had some fruit and other flavors in it. Smelled like tropical fruit and dank green tea.

After brewing the tea I strained out all leave then kept it at at least 160F for 15min to sterilize. I cooled and used the gallon of extra strength tea to top of the 4 gallons into a full 5 gallons and let it "secondary" with almost no head space another 10 days.

I'm about to bottle tomorrow but the hydrometer samples are delicious.

Latest posts

Back