Green Tea and Mango in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
I had a delicious mango green tea earlier today that was extremely refreshing. Then I got to thinking how could it would be in a lighter beer, possibly a Saison or Wheat Beer.

I was thinking I would brew something with Pilsner and Wheat Malt and maybe some fruity/melon like hops and an American Ale yeast or Belgian Saison yeast. I would then rack it on top of frozen mango in secondary.

How would one incorporate green tea to make it noticeable?

Green tea is a very subtle flavor and one that can be easily over powered by things esp assertive things like hops and mangos. I have done a green tea honey IPA and it took some work to get a noticeable tea flavor. First I added a green tea concentrate ( 24+ green tea bags steeped in about a gal of water at 150*F ) to my wort at flame out to keep any flavors from evaporating away. After primary fermentation I tasted a sample and was not happy with the tea flavor and wanted to make it more pronounced so I went to a local tea shop and talked to some folks there about a good tea to "dry hop" with. They turned me onto a tea called ya boa http://dobrateavt.com/our-teas/white-tea/ya-bao/ apparently it is a white tea and will never bitter from over steeping. So I bought it and threw it in the fermenter for about 4 days and was very pleased with my aroma and flavor. I would say if you are looking to get both tea and mango you are going to have to keep things balanced so the idea of doing a wheat beer with american ale yeast sounds like a good base to me. I would also suggest using Hull Melon hops for their subtle tropical fruit and melon flavors. I do like the idea of adding the mango to secondary just keep it balanced to the tea and hops. More than likely this will be a first batch that you will tweak after tasting and brew again.

Green tea is a very subtle flavor and one that can be easily over powered by things esp assertive things like hops and mangos. I have done a green tea honey IPA and it took some work to get a noticeable tea flavor. First I added a green tea concentrate ( 24+ green tea bags steeped in about a gal of water at 150*F ) to my wort at flame out to keep any flavors from evaporating away. After primary fermentation I tasted a sample and was not happy with the tea flavor and wanted to make it more pronounced so I went to a local tea shop and talked to some folks there about a good tea to "dry hop" with. They turned me onto a tea called ya boa http://dobrateavt.com/our-teas/white-tea/ya-bao/ apparently it is a white tea and will never bitter from over steeping. So I bought it and threw it in the fermenter for about 4 days and was very pleased with my aroma and flavor. I would say if you are looking to get both tea and mango you are going to have to keep things balanced so the idea of doing a wheat beer with american ale yeast sounds like a good base to me. I would also suggest using Hull Melon hops for their subtle tropical fruit and melon flavors. I do like the idea of adding the mango to secondary just keep it balanced to the tea and hops. More than likely this will be a first batch that you will tweak after tasting and brew again.

Thanks for all the details! When you threw it in the fermenter how far into primary fermentation were you? How much did you throw in?

It was about a 10-12 days after fermentation started and to be honest it was about 3 years ago so I dont remember but id say about 1-2 oz for a 5 gal batch

Back