Greek beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g2rnewton

Reaction score
My girlfriend is going on business trip to Greece. She wants to bring me back Greek beer and perhaps a beer glass. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Recommendations? Ask for some olive oil instead?

I saw very few greek beers in greece. Most were imports for other EU countries. Mythos and Fix seem to be everywhere, but they are really bland lagers. Lots of places just had "beer" on tap. When asked what type, they would say "It's beer."

Greek beer? I heard you have to drink those beers from the bottom. :cross:

I also heard the only way into a bar is through the back door. :ban:

I also heard they don't serve beer in bottles... but they are more than willing to give it to you in the can. :eek:

The only Greek beer I've had is Mythos, and that's available in the US. It's just a generic pale Euro lager.

I may be imagining it, but I think there is a Mythos Red as well. If I had it, I remember nothing about it. Guess that says a lot about the quality. :/

She is bring me back some mythos and I found a craft beer hillas, online. Sent her on a mission to find that too. Will post with my thoughts later. Thanks

There are any number of special things she can bring back from Greece, but beer isn't one of them. Metaxa, Ouzo, wine (google Vinsanto), oil are all better options.

As mentioned, there is Mythos and a couple of other brands, they are all Heineken clones more or less. You aren't missing much.

I wouldn't expect much from the Hillas craft beer, frankly its probably not worth the effort to track down, considering they would have to import pretty much all of the ingredients and they are a long ways from where that stuff it typically grown.

I'm with broadbill on this, forget the beer. Greece has way better things to offer. Even in the wines, a Domestica (regional wine) is better than any beer there, or even many of the wines you can buy here at 5-10x the price. Retsina is a resin-y tasting white wine. Metaxa, Ouzo, or a big can of olive oil get my vote.

Food wise to take home, figs (dried) and "Turkish" fruit. Fresh figs would be better, but not sure if she can bring them back into the U.S. It's worth checking though.

You all were right. Just stick with olive oil from Greece. Girlfriend had a layover in Germany on way back and made up for it there. She did get a neat beer storm in Greece. Will use it with another country's beer...

Latest posts

Back