Great catchpan for keggle electric kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnef

Reaction score
When I first built my electric brewing setup, I just had the kettles on the wooden stand.

After the first boilover though, I started putting a towel underneath the BK. This helped a bit, but I had a few hard boilovers, and the wort just flowed everywhere. I also store a jockey box underneath, and it became a mess.

Then, I found this: http://amzn.com/B009LA0ZU0

Now, I haven't had a boilover since I started using it, but I believe it will help considerably.

This fits the bottom chime of a sanke keg just perfectly:
34634846380_7b1b1a9243_b.jpg

I just thought it might help someone else using keggles with their electric setup!

Snazzy [emoji482]

I'm totally getting my hands on one of these. Thanks for sharing!

Even with fermcap, I was getting boilovers. Maybe it works 100% of the time for you though!

I had considered that too, but I wanted something that fit tightly, yet could still hold some volume. The hot water drain pans I looked at would be too wide, and I keep my HLT pretty close to my BK.

For me, this in particular hit the right balance of width, length, and depth. It also helps that it is relatively thick gauge aluminum. It should be able to contain the boilovers, and I can just lift the keggle out of it afterwards to clean in the big sink a few feet away, and then rinse out the pan.

I'm definitely not advocating that this will be best for everyone. In fact, if you have better boilover control than I do, this is completely unnecessary. I don't always stay right at the kettle, and it has been those times that I've set the controller to 100% to get it up to boiling, and then I do something else, and then I hear a rush of liquid pouring off the side of the kettle that I really wished I had this kind of pan.

I will say that I haven't had a boilover since I got this in, so the next time I do have a boilover, I'll report back on my experience and how easy or difficult it was to clean up. My elements are in triclover housings, so they are fairly easy to remove, which makes cleanup easier in general.

Back