Gravity reading staying the same, but airlock still bubbles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sea2summit3

Reaction score
My second AG batch, a robust porter clocking in at 1.069 OG, seems to have finished fermentation, but the airlock is still bubbling. For the past 5 days, my hydrometer has been reading at 1.026 at 60F. Yet, the airlock is still bubbling... very slowly. This fermentation was originally stuck after re-pitching yeast and I got it started again by pitching a new starter from fresh Nottingham yeast. I know to trust my hydrometer, but usually the airlock stops bubbling when fermentation stops.

Fermentation room temp was stable at 68f, but has recently dropped to 64-65F. My thermometer is calibrated. I always cool samples to 60F for gravity readings. The hydrometer is fairly new and has been used successfully with 6 other batches. In three years of brewing, I can't remember a fermentation that continues to bubble while gravity readings remain stable. I'm clinging on to some hope that FG will drop below 1.020, but gravity isn't changing. Any ideas?

CO2 being released from suspension? Maybe give the fermenter a swirl, perhaps raise the temp a few degrees? How long has it been in the fermenter?

Maybe just needs more time.

Thats been my guess as well, but its been doing this for a while now. The beer has been in the fermenter for about 2 weeks now. I'm content to let it go for a few more weeks. I stirred it a bit today with my wine thief after taking a sample... we'll see if that does anything.

I have had fermenters do that very same thing with no gravity drop. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are getting close to 10 days in that fermenter, it's time to rack.

Latest posts

Back