Gravity reading question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifearnothing0

Reaction score
If I took a O.G. at 72 f and it was 1.139 and the the F.G at 62 and it was 1.010 what my ABV be ?

That's what I thought , but there's no way I brewed a 17% abv west coat ipa kit , it's supposed be 7.5 - 8.5 added a pound of candy sugar but I'm gonna call it a bad reading on the OG

That's what I thought , but there's no way I brewed a 17% abv west coat ipa kit , it's supposed be 7.5 - 8.5 added a pound of candy sugar but I'm gonna call it a bad reading on the OG

I think you're right to call it a false reading. What OG did the recipe call for (also- was it extract or All grain?). We can probably come up with a best guess for you!

I thought a 17% beer was a little odd given the question. If that's the case, you're looking about right for your FG, but your OG probably should have been in the 1.070-1.075 range.

In most cases, I'd say improper volume, or improper mixing of top-off water, but honestly, to get an error that big you would have immediately known an issue. So yeah, bad hydrometer reading is my guess.

Was the test jar used for the OG reading filled enough the hydrometer was floating, or was it just sitting at the bottom? That'd be my first guess.

Edit- the math was staring me right in the face- Was that reading taken before you topped off? Or after? Cause if you were at 2.5 gallons instead of 5 (which is fairly reasonable for a partial boil kit), then that puts your OG right where it needed to be after you topped off.

It was a partial mash kit from BrewCraft - OG was supposed to be 1.069 .. We added a pound of candy sugar , and I would like to hope we were topped off and mixed well with water . I do recall tasting the sample and it being very sweet having A lot of really good flavor on the end of it

We tapped that keg sirs ! Woooooo it's pretty damn tasty !!! Needs more on the grain side , it's not quite heavy enough to carry all that hop smell from the oz of cascade dry hop ... The beer is pretty powerful , but fairly certain it's nowhere near 17 % ... Can you check the gravity after its been carbed up ? Could I just let it go flat and check it ?

Nah, you just didn't read the gravity correctly for your OG. With most of your gravity points coming from extract, there's just no way you got 1.139. You scooped a bunch of your candi sugar when you pulled your gravity sample, I'll bet, that or your wort wasn't mixed yet. It is surprisingly difficult to mix very dense sugar with water- you're good. Probably hit all your numbers dead on.

Back