Gravity-fed CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
I am thinking of moving from my IC to a CFC. However, I do not have a pump ATM and was wondering if gravity does a good enough job. I guess my biggest concern is with wort being left in the coil once the kettle empties. Is this a legit concern?

Can anyone who has experience with a gravity fed CFC chime in.

Thanks,

John

I use a gravity fed CFC with no issues. Once I'm done draining the BK, I just fill it back up with water, clean the kettle, dump the water + residue, fill it with water again (it should now be clear), hook the CFC back up to it and run the clear water through the CFC.

Gravity works fine. Even with a March or Little Giant type of impeller pump, you'll still have wort left over in the coil after you loose prime when there's no wort left in the kettle.

My only advice would be to make sure you have a ball valve so you can control the flow of the wort to ensure you get your temps right the first time through.

+1 on the gravity fed CFC and running water through it. I currently run my wort back through my washed MLT after the boil to strain with the false bottom. If anything, a pump will make the flow faster causing the temp drop to not be as drastic.
I have not found more than an ounce or two left in the CFC after it initially runs dry.

I am thinking of moving from my IC to a CFC. However, I do not have a pump ATM and was wondering if gravity does a good enough job. I guess my biggest concern is with wort being left in the coil once the kettle empties. Is this a legit concern?

I have no wort left in my gravity fed CFC. The coils drain completely because the hot wort enter the top coil and it is downhill from there to the fermenter.

Thx for the reassurance guys. Since I already have an IC, I should be able to do this job on the cheap. Just need the hose and fittings. :)

John

I used mine for the first time on my last batch, utilizing gravity. Worked just fine, but came out a little hotter then I wanted, maybe 80ish. I'll have to try restricting the flow on my kettle ball valve I guess..

My only advice would be to make sure you have a ball valve so you can control the flow of the wort to ensure you get your temps right the first time through.

i think you're gonna ned another ball valve to restrict flow at the CFC outlet. restricting it at the kettle outlet won't make the wort flow more slowly so much as allow less wort to flow at the same speed.

Good point tech. I'll have to keep an eye out for something, I think I've seen valves you can use with the plastic tubing..

i think you're gonna ned another ball valve to restrict flow at the CFC outlet. restricting it at the kettle outlet won't make the wort flow more slowly so much as allow less wort to flow at the same speed.

Huh? Less wort at the same speed is not possible unless your CFC tubing collapses to a smaller cross section. The kettle valve works just fine, I use it to regulate my wort flow. No need for an output valve.

Back