Gravity Concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog21

Reaction score
Moved batch #2 from primary to secondary today and while moving I snagged a little but for a gravity check. It went from .1040 to .1010...

I'll pick up more gravity when I add the sugar at bottling - yes?

No - whatever you add at bottling will be fermented so you will have carbonation. 1.010 isn't a bad FG. Perhaps a bit low, depending on the style. You might check your hydrometer in some tap water to make sure it isn't reading low.

The priming sugar will add about 2 - 3 points typically, but as JLem said, it should all ferment out during carbonation. The priming sugar will increase the ABV by about 0.3 - 0.4%, but after carbonation is complete, your gravity should be very slightly less that what you measured. I doubt that a hydrometer is accurate enough to detect the reduction.

-a.

So, if I stay at .1010 or slightly better I'll have 3% ABV at best?

It's an Apricot Blonde so that may be OK - but still a bit concerned...

Bulldog21 said:
So, if I stay at .1010 or slightly better I'll have 3% ABV at best?

It's an Apricot Blonde so that may be OK - but still a bit concerned...

Ah, I think I understand your concern now. ABV is not determined by you FG. It is determined by the difference between your OG and your FG. Gravity measures how much sugar is in the wort/beer. The yeast convert the sugar into alcohol. The larger the difference between your OG and your FG, the more sugar was converted into alcohol, so the higher your ABV will be.

The formula for calculating ABV is (OG - FG) x 131

Ok, so once I add my corn sugar just before bottling I should take my final reading? Will the corn sugar make that much of a difference that quickly?

I understand the math and the formula, I guess I am just confused by the chemistry.

Back