Gravity after primary 1.017?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydog2314

Reaction score
So I had my first batch of cider in the carboy and racked it over to a clean carboy(last Friday), before racking took a sample and gravity was at 1.017, tasted great but I was under the impression from what I have read and from some advice from a few other members that the gravity should/would get down close to 1.000 or lower?!?! So here'd the recipe I used, pretty basic:

5 gallons apple juice/cider
2 lbs brown sugar
US-05

My OG was 1.066, so the cider is right at 6.4% now which is fine by me I'm just wondering if I did something wrong of if the gravity will drop that much more while in the secondary.

I was thinking about bottling on Monday, that would have been 2 weeks primary and about 10 days secondary.

Thanks for any help!

The brown sugar can take a while to ferment out with the s05. Also, that yeast likes to take its time in my experience. I think you racked a bit early, but you can take your time in secondary. 2 weeks may not be enough since you took it off the cake and the yeast count will need to build back up.

It really depends on what you want. Do you want a dry, wine-like cider? Then Yeah, repitch and let it drop. If you want a slightly sweet one, just ride it out.

Did you measure with a hydrometer or refractometer? If the latter, you need to adjust for the effect of alcohol on the instrument, using a calculator such as this one:

http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

With your numbers, the corrected FG is actually 0.988.

Of course, if you're using a hydrometer, I just wasted a lot of space...

Bryan

Used a hydrometer, I'll let it ride for awhile before bottling. I liked the way it tasted so im not complaining just want to make sure I did it right being my 1st try at cider.

Back