Grains by the ounce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanofreak

Reaction score
I wish more homebrew shops would let you buy exact amounts the way brewmasters warehouse does. I am trying to find somewhere that does for some grains that aren't as easy to find, so many places want to do a pound or 8 ounces minimum. Its nice to throw a recipe into brew builder when they have all you need.

I had, on the few I checked, the fractional amount offered was 8 oz. Was that because I only checked base grains?

Yup online orders. Plus I brew small batches sometimes, so a minimum buy of 8 ounces of grain really changes a 2.5 gallon beer, where as with a 5 gallon it wouldn't be as bad if you had the extra few ounces.

Some specialty malts, mostly english malts for making milds. I know he has things that are close subs, I dont want close subs.

Also Mild Malt itself.

Huge fan of BMW, my local shop. Just wish others has sites as convenient.

Rebelbrewer does specialties by the ounce. I'm just curious though, why not put up enough grain to do several batches so you have stock to brew whenever you feel like it? It's really nice having 80 lbs of base malt from a group buy hanging out in my basement and 50 lbs or so of various other things so when I feel like doing it, it can be done instead of waiting for the mail man and paying shipping for every batch.

I buy some bulk grains by the sack, in fact 3 different types. Not everything is needed by the sack.
Pale
Pilsen
2-row

Rebel also only sells the Mild grains they have by the pound.

Also just to add, I live in Atlanta home to Brewmasters as well as a few other great homebrew shops, and even 2 beer stores that sell homebrew supplies. Unless it is something out of the ordinary, I never have to wait on the mailman or drive more than 5-15 miles depending on the homebrew shop I want to end up at. We are pretty spoiled in Atlanta.

Kinda not the point but cant you buy your specialty grains from a local shop? I usually order bulk grains, hops, and supplies online and buy my yeast and specialty grains locally.

Selling grains by the ounce is a losing business model. If I were selling ingredients, I'd offer 2oz increments but I'd charge the 8oz price. It's like selling hops by the pellet.

Except it might drive customers away. If I couldn't buy specialty grains by the ounce, I would take my bulk grain (and all other) business elsewhere.

I dont have sacks of specialty grains either. But having surplus 60* crystal, roasted barley, and some flaked grains keeps me in the styles I brew most often.

Guess I am on the other side of this one, as I would like to find a place that will give a price break on 10 lbs of a specialty at a time.

Guess I am on the other side of this one, as I would like to find a place that will give a price break on 10 lbs of a specialty at a time.

+1

I am looking for a price break so I will buy larger amounts to save. I have started to buy at least twice what I need for a recipe so that I have left overs for new recipes. This way I can have on hands for spur of the moment brew days.

Next is finding a local place to get yeast. The nearest LHBS is 45 minutes and on the wrong side of the city.

Except it might drive customers away. If I couldn't buy specialty grains by the ounce, I would take my bulk grain (and all other) business elsewhere.

I guess everyone has to decide how they want to run their business but they also have to stay viable to stay in business. If 1lb is $2.25 and 8oz is $1.50, how much do expect to pay for 1oz? 25 cents? The bag costs more than that.

There's a point where the customer's expectation becomes unreasonable and you have to let them go. If having to buy grain by the half pound is the deal breaker, I'd expect that customer to be a hassle in just about every other aspect of the transaction as well.

nanofreak said:
I had, on the few I checked, the fractional amount offered was 8 oz. Was that because I only checked base grains?

This is only on the base malts. The specialty malts are all 1 oz increments, which is awesome. Wish Northern Brewer would do his as well

Bobby_M said:
Selling grains by the ounce is a losing business model. If I were selling ingredients, I'd offer 2oz increments but I'd charge the 8oz price. It's like selling hops by the pellet.

I disagree. I do not buy grains in bulk because of a mill at the moment. Northern Brewer has lost some of my business to Austin Homebrew because I am now finally creating my own recipes and don't want to waste extra grains. I can just make my own brew kits thru Austin

Bobby_M said:
I guess everyone has to decide how they want to run their business but they also have to stay viable to stay in business. If 1lb is $2.25 and 8oz is $1.50, how much do expect to pay for 1oz? 25 cents? The bag costs more than that.

There's a point where the customer's expectation becomes unreasonable and you have to let them go. If having to buy grain by the half pound is the deal breaker, I'd expect that customer to be a hassle in just about every other aspect of the transaction as well.

I would be more willing to pay $1 for 2 oz of grain that $2.50 for a pound when 14 oz are going to be wasted. Still saves me some money

Im fine if you can only do it when buying a "recipe" which is what I was looking to do somewhere. get all of the grains I needed for a recipe in one bag. Many shops use an ounce or two in the recipes they formulate and sell, BMW is the only one so friendly when it comes to making your own recipe, that is all.

I guess i forgot (again) that we were talking about online shopping. In the online setting it makes a bit more sense, but at a LHBS it wouldn't make any sense.

Back