Grainfather Sparge Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blainekehl

Reaction score
Hello Grainfather Users!

I use a Grainfather sparge water heater fitted with a ball valve and a short length of silicon tubing for my sparge. I keep a constant trickle of water going through the mash tun but never have the 10mm or so of water that the Grainfather folks say they have on top. Do you think it matters whether there is that water on top of the mash screen or not?

Yes, this spreads the water better, reduces the chances of forming preferential paths in the grain

Have you guys seen an issue with large grain bills? I created a thread but nobody has posted . I was wondering about the sparge technique as well

I have a Robobrew and find no difference whatsoever in sprinkling sparge, dumping a couple gallons at a time, using hot, or cold water, or sparging with 2 or 4 gallons!

Hello Grainfather Users!

I use a Grainfather sparge water heater fitted with a ball valve and a short length of silicon tubing for my sparge. I keep a constant trickle of water going through the mash tun but never have the 10mm or so of water that the Grainfather folks say they have on top. Do you think it matters whether there is that water on top of the mash screen or not?

Did you change that existing valve with a ball valve? I am looking to do the same think but it looks like the hole is to small.

Latest posts

Back